How-To: Double Mashing for Volume

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: How-To: Double Mashing for Volume

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:26 am

NatteOksel wrote:
Rocksolid wrote:So for a BM50 one could theoretically just double the volumes?

I got 60 liters of fermentable wort from my BM 50 today at OG 1061. It needed careful watching during the initial boil, was touch and go for a foam over for a while :lol:

You can always use Fermcap if you need to prevent a boil over. Works fast!

Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Dicko wrote:
mashy wrote:I think the element will cope.

My question though....
Is this mash 4kg then ADD another 4kg ie total in pipe = 8kg.

I ask because I thought the max capacity for the pipe was 6kg?

I have not done this...yet, myself, but I believe that you discard the first 4kg of grain and add the next 4kg along with the sparge instructions above.

:cheers:

Thats what I first thought and then reread the instructions and came to a different conclusion the second time.
mashy

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:22 pm

I've double mashed many times. Sometimes for volume, other times for higher gravity.

Today, for the first mash, I made the mistake of leaving the mash-out temp, 78 C, in the profile with a time of 0 minutes.

The result being, after the first mash the temp raised to 78 C before shutting off and beeping to me.

I did not notice the problem until after I added the second load of grains. And, it was about 5 minutes after the second grains were loaded before I could get the temperature down to about 71 C.

I suspect there will not be much starch conversion for the second mash.

But, I am going to continue as usual to see what happens.

Moral of the story ...... for the first mash, be certain all temperatures in the mash profile are below 72 C even if the time specified for a higher temp is set to 0 minutes.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:19 pm

NewEnglandBrewer wrote:I've double mashed many times. .............. But, I am going to continue as usual to see what happens. ...........

It looks like everything will be OK.

So far SG dropped from about 1.058 to about 1.011.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby camstans » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi,
Just thought I’d share my experience doing a double mash in the 50L BM today. There’s not much around that I can find with the volumes, so here’s what I did and it worked pretty good.

Munich Helles
2 x 10kg Pils
2 x 1Kg Munich 1
2 x 100g Melanoidin
200g Hallertau

Mashed in 55L at 54c then 66c for 60mins.
Sparged with 22L of 78c water.
Reserved 9.5L in a pot.
Mashed in 2nd lot of grain 66c for 60mins.
Put reserved liquor back in pot.
Sparged another 22L of 78c water.
Mashed out at 78c for 10mins.

Cross fingers and get it to a boil. Volume was about an inch from the top….
Used a few drops of defoamer 105, not sure if it did anything, but it didn’t foam over !
Sloooowly added hops. It had a couple of bursts where it spilled a bit over the side a little but had the spray bottle on hand and only had to use it a couple of times during the hop addition.
The rest of the 60min boil was no problem, simmering along fine until flame out.
Gentle whirlpool and left it till it was about 92c then cubed it out.
Clean up and give the BM a hug for a solid 7 hrs work.

Collect 3 x cubes (66L) at 1.075.
So I will get 100L, 5 kegs of beer at 1.047.

In the Grain & Grape post they say to use 2.5L sparge per kg but this would not have been possible and wouldn’t have fit in the vessel.
Attachments
20171117_145453.jpg
camstans

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby timtoos » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:57 am

This sounds like a good plan/idea. I struggle for brew days so double brew length would come into its own.

Does anyone know how the brewing liquor would be treated? I guess the initial brew would be a normal water additions, but what about the second brew? Targeting mash pH on the second mash would surely become harder?

TIA
timtoos

Unread postby mashy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

I think it would be the same as normal.. Why would it not?
mashy

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:21 pm

timtoos wrote:This sounds like a good plan/idea. I struggle for brew days so double brew length would come into its own.

Does anyone know how the brewing liquor would be treated? I guess the initial brew would be a normal water additions, but what about the second brew? Targeting mash pH on the second mash would surely become harder?

TIA

I would have thought that there would be enough buffering capacity in the wort not to worry too much about pH for the second mash, as long as the first mash finished within range. I suppose you could always target a higher pH in the first mash at around 5.5-5.6 just in case.

I might give this method a go early next year, I would expect to be treating all my foundation liquor the same though to start with a water profile for the style and see how the pH turns out at various stages.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm

timtoos wrote:This sounds like a good plan/idea. I struggle for brew days so double brew length would come into its own.

TIA

I would have thought that there would be enough buffering capacity in the wort not to worry too much about pH for the second mash, as long as the first mash finished within range. I suppose you could always target a higher pH in the first mash at around 5.5-5.6 just in case.

I might give this method a go early next year, I would expect to be treating all my foundation liquor the same though to start with a water profile for the style and see how the pH turns out at various stages.
BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm

TIA

BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 pm

TIA

BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:27 pm

camstans wrote:Hi,
Just thought I’d share my experience doing a double mash in the 50L BM today. There’s not much around that I can find with the volumes, so here’s what I did and it worked pretty good.

Munich Helles
2 x 10kg Pils
2 x 1Kg Munich 1
2 x 100g Melanoidin
200g Hallertau

Reserved 9.5L in a pot.

Used a few drops of defoamer 105, not sure if it did anything, but it didn’t foam over !
Sloooowly added hops. It had a couple of bursts where it spilled a bit over the side a little but had the spray bottle on hand and only had to use it a couple of times during the hop addition.
The rest of the 60min boil was no problem, simmering along fine until flame out.

In the Grain & Grape post they say to use 2.5L sparge per kg but this would not have been possible and wouldn’t have fit in the vessel.

Using this method is 2 brew days in one - fantastic.

When you dilute the wort to make it up to 100L do you treat the diluting water?

How long can the wort be stored in cubes before it gets a bit risky for infection, do you keep them chilled or anything?
BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 pm

camstans wrote:Hi,

Munich Helles
2 x 10kg Pils
2 x 1Kg Munich 1
2 x 100g Melanoidin
200g Hallertau

Reserved 9.5L in a pot.

Using this method is 2 brew days in one - fantastic.

When you dilute the wort to make it up to 100L do you treat the diluting water?

How long can the wort be stored in cubes before it gets a bit risky for infection, do you keep them chilled or anything?
BrauTim

Unread postby roomfullofmirrors » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 am

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask my question... but, is anyone managing to knock out 70L of 1.050 ish beer from their Braumeister 50L without using the double mash method? I have heard people hinting at it, but I've not yet found a clear description of the process. It's something I'd love to try out with a bit of guidance.
I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
roomfullofmirrors

Unread postby Lindh » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am

roomfullofmirrors wrote: is anyone managing to knock out 70L of 1.050 ish beer from their Braumeister 50L without using the double mash method?

Yeah. 13.0 kg of malt in one single go. 66l mash water and about 18l sparge. Ended up with about 71-72 liters in mashtun (500 gram hops) and OG of 1.049.
You can see lots of photos from the brew session here: http://www.lindhcraftbeer.com/2018/01/m ... ning-pils/
(english translation here: https://translate.google.se/translate?s ... ftbeer.com)
Lindh

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks