Too much wheat malt?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Too much wheat malt?

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Today's grain bill for my BM20 weighed total 5.60Kg with 1Kg of that being wheat.
My mash suffered a huge drop in effieciency, down to 50% from my usual 72-75%. Beersmith predicted OG 1.053 and I got 1.045. Wtf??
When I checked the spent malt there were huge sticky clumps in there that were really sweet tasting, which I presume is were my sugars were.
The strange thing is though is that I've used 1Kg of wheat previously without problem. Maybe I didn't mix it up enough?
Has anyone any comments/suggestions on my bad results today?
I'll add too that the main rest went at 69c, a bit higher than usuall. Could this have contributed to the wheat clumping up?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Re: Too much wheat malt?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:56 pm

i don't have a good answer but i can say with certainty that i have also used that much wheat malt many times (and have used flaked wheat up to 50%), and have not had clumping or poor efficiency. what temp did you dough in? the only time i have clumping/doughballs/dumplings is when i dough in at a high temperature, but i doubt that is your problem.
that's a tough one!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 pm

I've also used up to 2kg wheat malt without a problem.

What was your crush?

And as Dinner Stick has asked "What temperature did you dough in at?"

I dough in at 38 and do a 10 minute rest at 40 which is supposed to help with mash fluidity.

I also usually give the grain bed a stir a few minutes in to the mash during the first or second pump break and find this helps with efficiency and with the fluidity of the grain during the mash.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 am

I've used 70% wheat with no problems and 50% with problems all it's all down to the crush, I usually allow the malt to rest for at least 5 mins and then stir well before the full mash starts and I also usually give a stir halfway through.

Your problem sounds like classic 'dough balls' which is essentially a mash that hasn't been stirred thoroughly enough and/or the malt has been added too quickly so that clumps have formed and not been broken up. I don't think your mash temp has affected this, it's purely down to lack of initial stirring.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:13 pm

As BrauTim said (and you hinted at yourself) - doughballs.
I've done a few 50% wheat malt brews and efficiency is no different.
Doing another (Wit) in a week or 2 - very nice summer quencher!
Dan

Return to General / Tips and Tricks