Opinions on buying a used BM 20l

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Opinions on buying a used BM 20l

Unread postby redwing_al » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi, I will likely be a BM owner soon. I am wondering about purchasing a used unit.. I have found a used one that has been brewed 8 times and I can save close to $500 over buying new. From what I've read, the BM is an industrial grade device and should stand up to 1000's of brews and many years, so should I be concerned that this unit is used?

So, what would you do given this decision and why? is there a lot of risk buying used? Should I order new?

thank you for your help and input!

:drink:
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Re: Opinions on buying a used BM 20l

Unread postby niels » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 pm

If it has only been used for 8 brews it's still as new. Assuming that the previous owner took care of her and cleaned her properly.

There is always a risk in buying second hand, but the Braumeister are quality built vessels and production errors probably show under in the first brew(s).

If you have the money and you want a Braumeister you should go for it.

Does it come with accessories?

And in 2015 you will be able to upgrade the control box if you're into the new features. You'll still end up under the price of a new BM.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby redwing_al » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

the device does have all the accessories. But what is the upgrade available in 2015 you speak of?
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:

redwing_al

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:22 pm

i wouldn't hesitate to buy used, unless it's really banged up, but i can tell you from experience that it's hard to bang one up! especially in 8 brews. just check the pump, open it and inspect the impeller, run the pump, and make sure the computer boots up and gives an accurate temp reading. other than that what you see is pretty much what you get, if it's clean and not dented (dents on the bottom or on the malt tube rim will prevent forming a seal at the bottom, dents in the side are largely cosmetic), screens (replaceable anyways) and plates look ok, threading on the post is fine, then all good i say.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:44 pm

I bought a used 50L and saved a lot of $$. The machine works perfectly. BM is such good quality machinery you can buy with confidence if you have checked the basic workings.
royco

Unread postby redwing_al » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Anyone know what updates there will be to the control box in 2015?
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:

redwing_al

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:30 pm

redwing_al wrote:Anyone know what updates there will be to the control box in 2015?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=611

There you go redwing, have a read of that topic.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby redwing_al » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks, Dicko!

so, I've emailed our reseller here in the US to see how they would handle it if the object I bought was obsolete on day 1... I'll let you know what they say.

On the other hand, I have an opportunity to buy a used one and save $$ over new.. So, my question to you (and others) is, based on your experience with Speidel, do you think I would get the same support (upgrades, etc) if I bought a used one from a guy over a new one from a reseller?
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:

redwing_al

Unread postby niels » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:52 am

Redwing, a current generation BM is in no way obsolete when the new 2015 model comes out.

The only hardware difference is the control box, but all the other hardware is identical.

The new control box adds some features that might improve it's usability, but nothing that will change the quality of your beers.

And as said before: Speidel will probably give existing BM users the opportunity to swap their control boz at a reasonable price.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to General / Tips and Tricks