Cleaning with PBW

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Cleaning with PBW

Unread postby jimswms » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 pm

New 20L owner here. As I'm heating up water for the first time, I'm reading through the manual. Surprised to see that pump removal is recommended for cleaning.
Can pbw just be circulated through the system for cleaning? Unless I hear different, that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks
jimswms

Model: 20 litres

Re: Cleaning with PBW

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:08 pm

yes. but you may want to remove the pump every now and then to check. when i remove the pump after a few brews, circulating PBW each time, it is always clean as a whistle.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:08 pm

I also do both.

Circulate hot water and sodium percarbonate to clean and then once empty turn the BM upside down to dry. Whilst upside down it's a 2 minute job to open up the pump and remove the impeller, check/clean and re-fit.

The cleaning agent won't remove stray grains or hop debris that can block the small holes in the impeller, so it's worth checking
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:39 am

I find a reasonable amount of hop debris in the pumps after use, so they are opened and cleaned every time, as Cervantes states, it's a 2 min job, if it's not done then the next time brewing you may have problems with a stuck impeller which would be no fun with a tun full of mash :lol:

The pot and elements get a quick scrub with PBW at the end of a brewday also, taking shortcuts with cleaning only leads to trouble (tried it and failed :roll: )
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby zoigl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:18 am

I agree with cleaning and dismantling the pump (or pumps on the 50L), A good rinse with water as well, The thought of residual PBW stuck in the pumps is awful. :? :? A plus for using PBW and water is that the tap gets a good rinse as well. :wink:
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
zoigl

Unread postby Jacques » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:22 am

I simply clean the pot with hot water 50-60degC and a big bottle brush for the heating resistance. I use a garden hose with the gun on the "pressure" position to flush the inlet and outlet of the recirculation line. And I regurlarly empty the water until it is clear. At the end , I remove the spigot for a good clean with hot water, and theni turn the pot upside down to dismount the pump (as already mentioned above it is really a 2 minutes job). Usually the impeller is clean but there can often be a small particle of trub, grain or hop stuck in one of the hole. When I first use my BM I also thought that it would bother me to dismount the pump, but in fact it is incredibily easy.
Note I don't use any chemical.
Jacques

Unread postby jimswms » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks guys
First brew today. Appreciate the advice.
jimswms

Unread postby zoigl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:08 pm

IMHO I think that PBW helps to remove the caramalised malt film like coating from inside the BM, it also seems to help remove the trub build-up on the elements.
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
zoigl

Return to General / Tips and Tricks