Converting recipes to Speidel 20 ltr. Mash vs sparge prop

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Converting recipes to Speidel 20 ltr. Mash vs sparge prop

Unread postby Paul Kessels » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Often I see recipes with e.g. 15 ltr mash en 12 ltr sparge water. If I convert them for Speidel, and knowing it needs a minimum of 23 liter to start, is it ok to simply do less sparging? So in this case start with 23 liter and sparge 4 liter?
Paul Kessels

Model: 20 litres

Re: Converting recipes to Speidel 20 ltr. Mash vs sparge pro

Unread postby Dan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Absolutely.
Depending on your grain bill you may even just add the whole 27L and do no sparge.
Dan

Unread postby Jacques » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Paul,

I did twice the same recipe for a Kölsch/Blonde Ale. In July, I mashed with 20 Litres and then sparged with 8 Litres. In September, I mashed with 28 Litres and did NO sparge at all. The result is only one point of gravity less when I didn't sparge. But, if I would have been patient and leave the malt pipe to drain longer I may ahve recovered this point of gravity.
From what I see in many posts in this forum is that most of the time the sparge with the Braumeister is not as needed as with the conventional lauter tun, or at least with much much smaller volume of sparging water. However, I did this test with only this Kölsch/Blonde Ale recipe, it mightbe different with more viscous wort.
I am sure the more experienced Braumeister users will have more informations to give us about this.

Cheers :cheers:
Jacques.
Jacques

Unread postby Paul Kessels » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi Jacques and Dan!

Many thanks for coming back to me. Cool, then I know now how to deal with this .

Cheers
Paul
Paul Kessels

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:05 pm

I never sparge, at least not for the last 20 brews, I just calculate my total water needed, heat to dough in temp ( dough in at 45C) then I drain the water down to about 22l and dough in. I then reolace the water into the BM and go for it. After mashing I pull the pipe and set aside to drain while ramping to boil. The drainings are poured back in (I also squeeze the mash) and away I go. Mash eff. is always close to 80% and life with the BM is good!
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Return to General / Tips and Tricks