ammounts

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

ammounts

Unread postby peter » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Hello Braumeisters
I want to brew a rochefort 8 .Is it possible to use 7.300 kl. (manuel says 6kl.) mout in a 20l BM??

Thanks a lot
Peter
peter

Model: 20 litres

Re: ammounts

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:29 am

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum.

You will not fit much more than 6kg of grain into the standard 20 l BM.

There is other threads on here how people have brewed bigger beers.
When I have done bigger beers I just add a bit of dextrose or dried malt to the boil.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:50 am

i agree it's gonna bit tough to fit that in. the amount you can successfully mash does depend to a large part on the mash composition and the crush, and i have managed 7kg in the past with a coarse crush, but with an old corona mill i have had stuck all-barley mashes with just over 6kg. i would suggest, if you are going to try to mash as much as possible, that you crush your specialty grains separately from your base malt, add the specialty first and then add base malt until it's full, and then not try to add any more. weigh what's left and add an appropriate amount of extract at the end of the boil. that's how i'd do it anyways. while mashing in, check that the mash flows well, and stop adding before the mash is too thick. you start to lose temperature precision pretty quickly when the flow is reduced, which you can easily see by checking the temp at different points around the top plate (you will see huge variation if the mash is too thick) or better yet pausing the pump, opening the malt tube, and checking around inside the mash with a temp probe. if you're 10 minutes into a sacc rest and the middle of the malt is still around your protein rest temp, that's not good!
dinnerstick

Unread postby peter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks a lot for the answers

Can i do the masch in 2 times 3.650kg. at the time?

gr.
Peter
peter

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:50 am

peter wrote:Thanks a lot for the answers

Can i do the masch in 2 times 3.650kg. at the time?

gr.
Peter

Peter, you may want to watch the water volumes very closely if you go down this path.
I would check that the element is covered with wort while the pump is operating.
You may get away with it if you increase your water volume and divide it in half for each mash and then boil a bit longer to achieve gravity and correct volume.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:57 am

Peter,

You may want to have a look at Niels recipe here. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66

He uses candy sugar to advantage.
You would need to scale it to suit your 20 litre machine.

Dicko

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:28 am

Peter,

Can you post the recipe (or send it to me by PM in Dutch and I'll translate it)? This way we might be able to help choosing the best strategy ;)

As said in the PM to you there are a few options:
1/ Double mashing: your second mash will be a single-step or you have to cool down everything.
2/ Use DME or LME to replace part of your base malt.
3/ Steep your speciality malts (e.g. Chocolat malt, Carafa III, ...)
4/ Reduce your target volume: make sure you use enough water to cover the heating coils and boil off the excess to reach your OG.

As Dicko said:
5/ Using candy sugar (kandijsuiker) or candy sirop (kandijsiroop)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby peter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Hello
I find the problem :oops:
I had count the Sugar gift by the grains.
The total ammounts is 6.350kl. ,so that will not be a problem.
Sorry for the problems.
Thanks to all
Gr.
Peter
peter

Unread postby Dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Peter
You should be okay with that.
I've done a Rochefort 10 clone a couple of times with 6.55kg mash grains and 1.7 - 1.9 kg candy/dextrose added to the boil.
Jury's still out on how well it matches the original, but the BM handled the grain okay.
I did stop 2-3 times during the first 20 minutes of saccharification to stir the mash.
Dan

Unread postby zedd » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Late addition to this discussion... And little off topic as well, but wanted to share anyway.
If you want to clone a rochefort, I would always use candy SIRUP. If you make a nice dark sirup you'll get the nice plum and chocolate flavors. These flavors are hard to obtain with malt only.
zedd

Return to General / Tips and Tricks