Minimum grain quantity in 20L Braumeister

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Minimum grain quantity in 20L Braumeister

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:06 pm

I'm looking to brew some small beers, say under 3.5% ABV. DO any of you have experience using smaller grain loads in the 20L braumeister? Do you have problems with the pump forcing the liquid up too quickly through the grain? What do you reckon is the minimum amount of grain you can get away with?
Dr Jacoby

Re: Minimum grain quantity in 20L Braumeister

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi Dr Jacoby,

I regularly brew a mid strength Aussie Lager at 3.5 abv using 3.34 kg of crushed grain.
It all works fine for my mill crush of 1.2mm although I have noticed small raised discharge at the top of the mash during the time when the pump is running. This has not caused any problems.

If you had wort fountains you could crush your grain a bit coarser and if you loose any efficiency then you could add a little more grain. In that way it would probably solve that problem altogether.

I would imagine that 3 kg of grain would be achievable in the standard 20 l BM malt pipe.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Cool, thanks Dicko. That's exactly what I needed to know
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Through a data entry error, I accidentally put just 3kg of grain in a recent cream ale (it was supposed to be 5kg!). The mash went perfectly normal and I didn't realize my error until my end-of-mash gravity check. Saved the brew with a quick trip to the LHBS to get some LME. I even thought to myself as I was mashing in, "Hmm, this seems like a very thin mash."

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:51 am

i have only had problems with small grain bills (>4kg) when doing overnight mashes. once or twice the channeling was quite spectacular, but the efficiency was always very high. i think if supervise the mash and stir it as necessary you should be fine?
dinnerstick

Return to General / Tips and Tricks