Chill temp?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Chill temp?

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

I use an IC to chill my wort and stop when the BM reads 20C. I've noticed however than the temp goes up again when draining wort into the FV.
This is obviously due to the temp being uneven in the BM, but my question is what do you do about this? Do you stir the wort to even out or do you chill so that the BM reads lower than 20C?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

RE: Chill temp?

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 pm

Do you run the pump while chilling. I do and my temp stays quite stable. I always chill to pitching temps.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Does running the pump not unsettle all the trub?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 pm

Exactly my dilemma in the other topic.
Lylo

Unread postby niels » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:28 pm

I ran the pump when chilling for the first time. Now I don't do it any more as it mixes the trub and cold break back into the wort.

Since the sensor is on the bottom you could drain the BM in a few times. When you reach your desired temp, drain 1/4 While still chilling. When you reach the temp again, drain the next 1/4 and so on... I never tried it, but someone on another forum does this with his 3V system.

A whirlpool might be useful too: it mixes the colder/warmer wort and creates a cone of trub.

I chill with an immersion chiller until I reach the mid twenties using tap water. After that I switch the hose to an immersion pump that is placed in a box with 20kg of ice (and water). This way I can chill to 17°C easily (I didn't try lower yet).

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 pm

I chill as soon as the boil finishes, running the BM pump as I do. Then when desired temp is reached, remove chiller and whirlpool. Then settle for 45-60 minutes.
Temp may change over the settling period depending on outside temp, but as I ferment in temp controlled freezers, I fine tune pitching temp later.
Dan

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:26 am

i also always run the pump while cooling, unless there is a lot of loose hop in there that could gum it up. it gets through the difficult low temps much much much faster than without the pump. then remove the chiller, attempt a whirlpool, leave it to sit at least 30 minutes, ie same as dan above. here in holland we have crap weather, but abundant cold (tasty) tap water!
dinnerstick

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Dan wrote:I chill as soon as the boil finishes, running the BM pump as I do. Then when desired temp is reached, remove chiller and whirlpool. Then settle for 45-60 minutes.
Temp may change over the settling period depending on outside temp, but as I ferment in temp controlled freezers, I fine tune pitching temp later.

So Dan, do you pitch your late hops at the end of the boil,then start chilling?
Lylo

Unread postby Dan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Lylo wrote:
Dan wrote:I chill as soon as the boil finishes, running the BM pump as I do. Then when desired temp is reached, remove chiller and whirlpool. Then settle for 45-60 minutes.

So Dan, do you pitch your late hops at the end of the boil,then start chilling?

If I'm doing any 0 minute additions I chill to 80 C, set to manual with pump on and temp at 80, throw in the "whirlpool hops" and steep for about 20 minutes before turning off heat and chilling to pitch temp.
Dan

Return to General / Tips and Tricks