To single step or to multi step

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: To single step or to multi step

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:27 am

Elderberry wrote:
kahobro wrote:- Efficiency is said to go up on a multi step mash because around or just over 70 °C some extra starch is often released for conversion. Possibly that also happens during heating to mash-out temperature if the heating isn't too fast and might be less for speidel brewers.

Hans

In my opinion, multi-step mashes increase efficiency only because you're more likely to stir the mash than with a single-step. This theory could be easily tested.

I suppose this theory is born from traditional mashes and not from recirculation mashes. We need some BM theories to work to.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby kahobro » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:14 pm

BrauTim wrote:
Elderberry wrote:
kahobro wrote:- Efficiency is said to go up on a multi step mash because around or just over 70 °C some extra starch is often released for conversion. Possibly that also happens during heating to mash-out temperature if the heating isn't too fast and might be less for speidel brewers.

Hans

In my opinion, multi-step mashes increase efficiency only because you're more likely to stir the mash than with a single-step. This theory could be easily tested.

I suppose this theory is born from traditional mashes and not from recirculation mashes. We need some BM theories to work to.

What has been reported is that when a test with iodine shows no unconverted starch and then the temperature is raised that starch is detected again. This should indicate that the higher temperature cracks some more starch storages that were still closed at the lower temperature.

Not my own tests, just repeating what I've read. It seems a valid explanation.

I'll do multi-step from now on and I don't expect any negatives because of it, any gains are welcome but not necessary.

Hans
kahobro

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Elderberry » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:08 pm

BrauTim wrote:
Elderberry wrote:

Hans

I know that, both pre- and post-BM, I get better efficiency if I stir. It's possible that I get slightly better efficiency with the BM either way, but it's negligible. It's also hard to tell for sure, since I (almost) always did a mash-out pre-BM.

I would conclude from my own experience as well as what I've read from others, that doing a multi-step mash strictly for the sake of efficiency is not worth the effort and frustration with a typical homebrew setup.
Elderberry

Unread postby kahobro » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Elderberry wrote:I would conclude from my own experience as well as what I've read from others, that doing a multi-step mash strictly for the sake of efficiency is not worth the effort and frustration with a typical homebrew setup.

I agree. Consistency over the years if your thermometer drifts a °C is my main reason for using mainly multi-step.
1 °C difference makes more difference in the naarow range of a single step than during a multi-step.
Hans
kahobro

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks