Do you add salts to your sparge water?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Crusty, another convert from Biabinfo I see. Are you using the Biabacus for your calcs, or found something that works better for the BM.I have actually found it quite accurate.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Crusty » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Lylo wrote:Hi Crusty, another convert from Biabinfo I see. Are you using the Biabacus for your calcs, or found something that works better for the BM.I have actually found it quite accurate.

Hey Lylo.
I'm using BeerSmith 2. I've got BrewMate & BeerTools Pro as well but BeerSmith is pretty good.
I had a play with Biabacus & Ian's spreadsheet too but BS for now.
Crusty

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:15 pm

My water treatment method is this:

• Obtain a water report of brewing minerals from reputable, brewing services company (one time only).
  • Use that report only for Chloride, Sulphate and Magnesium levels.
  • Measure Alkilinity every brewday (it changes all the time).
  • Work out Calcium level from Alk level (will start testing this separately though).
  • According to beer style and Alkilinity; acidify the total liquor and draw some of that for a sparge (I use CRS or Lactic which also alters the Ca, Cl & SO4 levels, Lactic acid does not alter these amounts)
  • Add required salts (to adjust CA, Cl & SO4 for style) to the crushed grains which will dissolve in the mash.
  • Test mash pH after 30 mins adjust with Lactic acid if necessary (only to go down).
  • If I want more hop flavour/bitterness, then add Gypsum to the boil which increases Sulphate only.
  • Add yeast vit either at the end of the boil (dry yeast) or with a liquid starter just before pitching.

None of the online calculators seem to work for me, I don't know why, so I end up calculating by hand (cross checked with the water report), but it's easy once you get the hang of it.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:21 am

Hi BrauTim,

That would be disappointing that the calculators don't work for you.
Since I have been using the EZ spreadsheet I have become quite confident with additions to my RO water and can now virtually predict that my mash PH will fall into the required number with the recommended additions.

Apart from my town supply water being virtually unsuitable for most brewing styles I have noticed that PH levels can vary a fair bit from time to time from that source.
In my employment which is not brewing related I have occasions to check it from time to time to assess different levels of results of mixing chemicals with it and it most certainly changes from time to time.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks