Do you add salts to your sparge water?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:10 pm

I use Bru'n water and was wondering if you guys using it for the BM too, treat your sparge water with salts like Bru'n water suggests?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:49 pm

I use the EZ Water calculator and I put the entire amount of water into the BM and treat it as per the spreadsheet and then remove my sparge water to achieve a level of 25 litres for mashing.
In this way all my brewing water is treated equally.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 pm

So you add all your water into the BM, say 30L, then treat it with your salts, acids etc, then remove the 5L or so to save for the sparge then commence as normal? You mean all before dough in too?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Beerkench wrote:So you add all your water into the BM, say 30L, then treat it with your salts, acids etc, then remove the 5L or so to save for the sparge then commence as normal? You mean all before dough in too?



Thats it mate, exactly how you said it.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Like it. Will try this out next brew. Thanx.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:03 pm

Yes, just put the total water amount into you calculator rather than splitting it into mash and sparge amounts.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 pm

I add salts to the mash only. They don't dissolve well in just water.
If adding a large amount of something that will lower pH too much, then I'll reserve some to add at mash out or in with the boil.
I haven't bothered acidifying the sparge water yet, but should try it in the future. My water is rain water run through a 2 stage filter so I treat it as RO with pH 6
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 pm
Location: Koppio - South Oz
Model: 20 litres

RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 am

I only add salts to the mash. For pale & amber beers, I also add phosphoric acid to further reduce the pH to the appropriate levels.

I acidify the sparging liquor to avoid extracting tannins from the grains.
Last edited by cpa4ny on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________
20L BM user from Singapore
User avatar
cpa4ny
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 am
Location: Singapore
Model: 20 litres

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Crusty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 am

I only add salts to the mash too. I plug my figures into EZ Water calc & see where I'm at in relation to predicted mash pH.
I then do adjustments to keep my figures in the green & decide if the beer that day will be balanced, malt driven or hop driven.
It works out pretty well & very happy with the results now I keep the mash pH at optimum levels.
Brewing these days has become so much easier with all the available spread sheets & brewing software available & the BM has made brewing an absolute awesome experience.
Crusty
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:00 am
Location: Yamba. NSW.
Model: 50 litres

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:01 am

I also only mess with the mash water.

I figure that after mash out at 77/78 any enzymes left will be denatured and so won't benefit from any water treatment and the water is more rinsing than actually sparging.
Last edited by Cervantes on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: RE: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 am

Dicko wrote:I use the EZ Water calculator and I put the entire amount of water into the BM and treat it as per the spreadsheet and then remove my sparge water to achieve a level of 25 litres for mashing.
In this way all my brewing water is treated equally.


I probably should have included that I use RO water and by no means do I suggest that one way is any better than the other, it is just my choice after checking results of my method with the mash PH for virtually no difference.

I have also found that provided I am not including chalk in my salts then the CaCl MgS04 and CaS04 dissolve easily in the volume of water for the brew if you hydrate them in approx 400mls of water overnite before your brew day and then add them to the BM with the pump running as the temp is coming up to the "mash in" setting.
Chalk is a very unreliable addition to brewing water unless you use acid to dissolve it so to avoid using chalk I tend to cold steep my dark grain additions and add this to the mash at to or near the end of the mash cycle and in this way my mash PH is controllable with the additions of CaCl, MgS04 and CaS04 with a touch of acid if required.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:09 am

Crusty wrote:I only add salts to the mash too. I plug my figures into EZ Water calc & see where I'm at in relation to predicted mash pH.
I then do adjustments to keep my figures in the green & decide if the beer that day will be balanced, malt driven or hop driven.
It works out pretty well & very happy with the results now I keep the mash pH at optimum levels.
Brewing these days has become so much easier with all the available spread sheets & brewing software available & the BM has made brewing an absolute awesome experience.


Hi Crusty,
Good to see you on the forum mate and I knew that you would be pleased with your BM.
They make great beers, don't they? :beer: :drink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Crusty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:59 am

Dicko wrote:
Crusty wrote:I only add salts to the mash too. I plug my figures into EZ Water calc & see where I'm at in relation to predicted mash pH.
I then do adjustments to keep my figures in the green & decide if the beer that day will be balanced, malt driven or hop driven.
It works out pretty well & very happy with the results now I keep the mash pH at optimum levels.
Brewing these days has become so much easier with all the available spread sheets & brewing software available & the BM has made brewing an absolute awesome experience.


Hi Crusty,
Good to see you on the forum mate and I knew that you would be pleased with your BM.
They make great beers, don't they? :beer: :drink:


Hey Dicko.
I'm wrapped with the BM mate, it's such a great way to brew.
I ended up spending a couple of hundred dollars on a 4:1 block & tackle system to lift the malt pipe & that's been a great investment.
It feels like I'm lifting a bucket full of feathers & when I used it for the first time, I was expecting some resistance from the malt pipe & I actually thought I lost all my grain from the malt pipe, it was really that light & I tied it off on the cleat & double checked. All good & it has the pulling power of 3200kg so pretty comfortable lifting out 10kg of grain. I'm hoping to enter one brew in the Grafton AG show next week & although it will have only been kegged for 17 days, I'm entering it any way. Just looking for a bit of feedback really & don't expect to place with a record number of all grain entries this year. It's a nice APA though so you never know. No chilled, cube hopped & dry hopped too. Filling them from the keg via a Blichmann beer gun so no sediment either.
Good to hear from you mate,
Cheers.
Sorry to OP for off topic.
Crusty
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:00 am
Location: Yamba. NSW.
Model: 50 litres

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 am

Well done Crusty...good luck with your entry in the comp. :beerbang:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

Re: Do you add salts to your sparge water?

Unread postby Crusty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Dicko wrote:Well done Crusty...good luck with your entry in the comp. :beerbang:


Cheers Dicko.
My timing was a bit off as I was in between systems. Finished off my biab brews & the comp beer is actually my first brew on the BM. Step mashed too & it's a pretty nice beer but just a couple of weeks in the keg is pushing it for time to mellow especially with dry hopping some high alpha Nelson Sauvin. I've made this one several times biab & four weeks in the keg is optimal but I'm giving it a shot. It's throwing out some great fruitiness from the 1056 @17deg ferment. I can't make the judging or the show unfortunately so I hope the tasters enjoy the few I'm sending up.
Crusty
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:00 am
Location: Yamba. NSW.
Model: 50 litres

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests