Cleaning the Pump - staining?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Cleaning the Pump - staining?

Unread postby DWP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi,

Doesn anyone worry about cleaning off the staining that builds up on the pump?

WP_20141019_010.jpg
DWP

Re: Cleaning the Pump - staining?

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 am

At the risk of sounding like someones mother... have you been cleaning the pump every time you brew? I've had my BM for a little over a year and I don't have any build up like that. Maybe a little PBW soak? Cover the coils with water/PBW mix and run the heater and pump for a while. Then take apart again and scrub carefully.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby RobW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:31 am

"Cover the coils with water/PBW mix and run the heater and pump for a while"

Should be part of the cleanup every time, then rinse out with clean water.
Your pump will keep looking like new.

Cheers

Rob
RobW

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Is the impeller removable? I opened the pump to take a look inside. No chips or bad stuff.. but the impeller was not easily removable for cleaning.. Curious after seeing some of the photos in other posts with grain stuck in the holes.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby royco » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi Bill, the impeller is held in place by strong magnets, probably rare earth type. Just pull it out to remove gunk.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby DWP » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Im cleaning the rig after each brew and noticed that this was starting to get more and more stained.

I think on the next batch I will soak the pump and lines with the PBW like I do with the pump/CFC & hoses and then give it a gentle scrub to get this off.

Cheers
DWP

Unread postby perdido » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:53 pm

I get similar staining in the valve. I don't usually take the valve apart but when I do I find similar build up on it.
perdido

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Beer stone in brew equipment can be caused by an incorrect mash PH.

Even with the correct PH there will still be some minor staining over time.
Regular cleaning with PBW will eliminate this.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby DWP » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Just a follow up to this.

Recently I started using 1g sod perc per Lt of hot water for cleaning my FV and Brewing gear. Not sure where I read about sod perc ratio's but the staining has all but cleared away, including the house and the coils are so clean.

I used to just wash with water the BM after brewing but now I add 20lts of warm water with 20g of Sod Perc ( napisan ) and heat that to 80c with the BM pump running and with my external CFC & pump system returning the hot cleaning mix to the BM for 20-30mins. Its likely to be over kill with running it for that long but If I was in a hurry a good 10mins at that temp and dilution rate would do.

When that finished just empty and refill with 20lts of starsan/water mixture and run that for 5 mins, drain and she is all ready to go.
DWP

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 am

DWP wrote:Just a follow up to this.

Recently I started using 1g sod perc per Lt of hot water for cleaning my FV and Brewing gear. Not sure where I read about sod perc ratio's but the staining has all but cleared away, including the house and the coils are so clean.

I used to just wash with water the BM after brewing but now I add 20lts of warm water with 20g of Sod Perc ( napisan ) and heat that to 80c with the BM pump running and with my external CFC & pump system returning the hot cleaning mix to the BM for 20-30mins. Its likely to be over kill with running it for that long but If I was in a hurry a good 10mins at that temp and dilution rate would do.

When that finished just empty and refill with 20lts of starsan/water mixture and run that for 5 mins, drain and she is all ready to go.

I quite often leave mine to soak overnite after I bring the solution up to 65 deg and circulate for a while.
I always dismantle the pump and a wipe with a soft cloth is all that is needed. I clean the holes in the impeller after each brew as well.
The next morning I drain all but a few litres from the BM and give the elements a wipe over and then drain and give the lot a rinse in clean water. A light spray of Starsan and it is done until the next brew.....Too easy...... :lol: :D

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Lindh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 am

Dicko wrote:A light spray of Starsan and it is done until the next brew.

Why do you feel the need to sanitize with starsan? Worrying about bad smell?
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Lindh wrote:
Dicko wrote:A light spray of Starsan and it is done until the next brew.

Why do you feel the need to sanitize with starsan? Worrying about bad smell?

Yes, you are correct.
A light spray with Starsan seems to prevent that stale smell that you may get during storage.

I have Starsan in a squirt type bottle with an adjustable nozzle and a couple of squirts is all that is needed.

:cheers:
Dicko

Return to General / Tips and Tricks