Best way to keg and bottle the rest?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Best way to keg and bottle the rest?

Unread postby Beerkench » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:15 pm

I've just got my first 19L corny and as I get 23L from the BM, I will have to bottle the rest.
So I was wondering if any of you here have an effective approach to bottling the rest?
Do you have the bottling bucket ready at the same time, and do you mix a small priming solution?

The dumb thing for me is that my Speidel fermentation bucket doesn't have and measurements on the side so I usually guess the amount.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Re: Best way to keg and bottle the rest?

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:56 pm

I have come too the conclusion that it isn't worth the trouble. I just adjusted my brew length down to net 21 liters into my fermentor which leaves me a little over 19 liters of clear beer into the keg.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:36 pm

i tend to go the opposite way, make 25 liters, and with what's left after filling the keg i either do something weird with (fruit or brett additions for example) or keep a bunch of 1.5 liter fizzy water bottles and carb-caps, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-carbonator.html, force carb the rest and drink before the keg is ready, or force carb in the plastic bottles and pour gently into ice cold beer bottles, and cap them.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Lylo wrote:I have come too the conclusion that it isn't worth the trouble. I just adjusted my brew length down to net 21 liters into my fermentor which leaves me a little over 19 liters of clear beer into the keg.

Same here.

Also, you'll notice 19 liters will still be several cm below the gas in post inside the keg. I haven't measured, but I'm sure you could easily get another liter or so into a corny keg and still stay below the gas post. Don't submerge the gas post though!

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Beerkench wrote:I've just got my first 19L corny and as I get 23L from the BM, I will have to bottle the rest.
So I was wondering if any of you here have an effective approach to bottling the rest?
Do you have the bottling bucket ready at the same time, and do you mix a small priming solution?

The dumb thing for me is that my Speidel fermentation bucket doesn't have and measurements on the side so I usually guess the amount.

Buy two 2L growler, to take to some friends house. Make a small priming and you're done.
Last edited by Victor Coelho on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby RobW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 am

I run the excess into a couple of 2 litre Schott bottles, make sure they are full right to the top then leave for a day or 2 in the fridge to let the yeast settle.
Pour into half litre swingtops , prime and store.

Cheers

Rob
RobW

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:41 pm

I like to have a few liters more than the keg - bottle these (440ml) using carbonation drops for purposes of easy "testers" while the keg is maturing.

Ps: have the clean bottles, drops, caps,etc ready. Simply attach the beer filler pipe to the kegging pipe once keg is full.
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:30 pm

dinnerstick wrote:i tend to go the opposite way, make 25 liters, and with what's left after filling the keg i either do something weird with (fruit or brett additions for example) or keep a bunch of 1.5 liter fizzy water bottles and carb-caps, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-carbonator.html, force carb the rest and drink before the keg is ready, or force carb in the plastic bottles and pour gently into ice cold beer bottles, and cap them.

Never seen these but sure luck interesting.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Victor Coelho wrote:
Beerkench wrote:I've just got my first 19L corny and as I get 23L from the BM, I will have to bottle the rest.

Buy two 2L growler, to take to some friends house. Make a small priming and you're done.

Like this idea.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm

RobW wrote:I run the excess into a couple of 2 litre Schott bottles, make sure they are full right to the top then leave for a day or 2 in the fridge to let the yeast settle.
Pour into half litre swingtops , prime and store.

Cheers

Rob

Good idea too!

Cheers all.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Return to General / Tips and Tricks