BM 20 - Minimum amount of water for mash?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

BM 20 - Minimum amount of water for mash?

Unread postby Beerkench » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 am

In order to get a higher gravity, what's the minimum amount a Bm 20 can take if full with 5-6KG malt?
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

RE: BM 20 - Minimum amount of water for mash?

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:44 pm

I have safely done 23 litres....just make sure that the element is fully covered when the wort is recirculating ( pump on )

I have not gone any lower volume with my BM
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:58 pm

You could plug something into the pump intake (so water doesn't equalise by running back), setup malt pipe as per usual and screw in, then fill malt pipe with water.
Let some overflow so that your elements are covered. Then take the malt pipe out and measure your volume.
Knowing roughly what volume the grain will take up (0.65 L/kg according to beersmith);
- 5kg x 0.65 = 3.25 L
or - 6kg x 0.65 = 3.9 L

Subtract this from your measured volume and you should still have your elements covered with this amount of water.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Dan

Unread postby jimmyjack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 am

just mashed in with 5 Kg of Malt and 23 Ltr of Water. I felt the need to add back another 3 litres as the mash was so thick. Just finished cleaning up a massive geiser!!! I took out the top screen and stirred it up which seems to of gotten back to square 1. Any recommendations?
jimmyjack

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 am

BM say that wort fountains are the result of a grain crush that is too fine.
I have done 23 litre mashes with 5 kg of grain without a fountain. My crush is currently 1.2mm with a 3 roller Crankenstien.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 am

Did you stir the mash well before you pressed the button to start the circulation?

Unread postby jimmyjack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:43 am

I stirred well and I think it is the crush however my mill is set to be the width of a credit card thought that was fine. Everthing going well now just a bit slow to waterfall
jimmyjack

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:41 am

Good to hear - 5 kg of grist shouldn't generally pose any problems :beer:

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:40 am

you might want to check the internal temp of the mash at a few places if you have a good thermometer. or at least check around different spots at the top of the malt tube. i guess i'm stating the obvious, but if your mash is channeling, as in the geyser you are getting, you aren't going to get to your set mash temps throughout the grain, not get the conversion you expected (most likely converting at a lower than expected sacc temp) and not get good efficiency. if that's the case you will see higher temps where you see wort coming up through the top plate, and cooler temps where it's not. stirring is always a good idea imo. indeed 5kg should pose no problem! good luck!!
dinnerstick

Unread postby waspish » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:40 pm

It seems counterproductive to those of us who were used to a much finer crush with other equipment and methods, but as Dicko says, you need a crush of around 1.2mm with the BM to avoid channeling / for best extraction.
waspish

Unread postby jimmyjack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am

Ok so I had my 2nd run with my Braumeister and followed the advice on this forum and set my roller gap to 1.2. I had a very successful brew day albeit the flow seemed a little slow to cascade over pipe.

I did however end up with 81% efficiency which really surprised me. I brewed a belgian dubbel with single infusion mash around 66 C. Recipe had around 5.2 Kg of base malt in the pipe and I added the specialty malts on top of the pipe around the 20 minute mark. I did my first yeast starter on a stir plate and have never seen such a big Krausen!!!
jimmyjack

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:46 am

waspish wrote:It seems counterproductive to those of us who were used to a much finer crush with other equipment and methods, but as Dicko says, you need a crush of around 1.2mm with the BM to avoid channeling / for best extraction.

I agree, it is hard to come to terms with the fact that a coarser crush gives better efficiency but it is what seems to work in the BM.
I think someone said on another forum that a credit card is around 0.9mm but 1.2mm seems to be what most BM owners use.

My first few brews were at 1.4mm and I had an efficiency of 78% and with the 1.2mm I get around 82%. I set my software to 80% which works pretty close for each brew although the biggest I have done is 1.065 og.
Dicko

Return to General / Tips and Tricks