The predictable boiling in the garage problem...

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

The predictable boiling in the garage problem...

Unread postby David » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Quick question. I have the 50L BM and have been converting/insulating my small UK garage ahead of my first brew day. Would I be able to boil with a fan strategically placed to push the evaporating steam out of a window/ or even out through the main up-and-over door? Or could a window based extractor fan to the trick? and if so, what size/capacity?

I want to avoid excessive amounts of water condensing on the garage walls/ceiling. Also given the metal garage doors are de-facto the ceiling when open, boiling below it with steam condensing on the metal "ceiling" and dripping back into the BM is an absolute nightmare to be avoided.

Any insights/ solutions would be welcome as I would rather not install an extractor if it won't be fit for purpose.

David

David
@davidreynoldsuk
David

Model: 50 litres

Re: The predictable boiling in the garage problem...

Unread postby niels » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:32 pm

I fixed the condensing problem by buying the stainless steel hood and a flexible hose. Not the cheapest solution but it works like a charm.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Neils.. is there not a problem of 'stuff' falling back into the brewpot from the tubing? It seems it might be a place for mold or bacteria to grow if not very well cleaned. Those flexible hoses seem to have a lot of nooks and crannies for bad things to hide.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 am

It's not a permanent set-up, so I can easily dry it with a towel. I did not see any mold, but I'll check before every brewday.

Make sure you bend the hose a bit down so the condensation runs out at the end.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Elderberry » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:50 am

I do this. I have a fan that I set on top of a shelf that's about midway between the brauwmeister and the window. It works surprisingly well. There's still some condensation, but I no longer have the problem of a dripping ceiling. I'm not sure what I'll do in the dead of winter.
Elderberry

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:05 pm

I recently demolished a kitchen, took the old ikea extractor fan from above the stove and installed it in my brewing area, venting out through an old dryer chimney on the roof. Have only used it 3 times so far but it seems to work great. I run it on its highest setting, and there is no drip back (aside from a small amount of condensation on the fan housing around the intake). I guess the high power of the fan keeps condensation out of the flexible tube, but i have no idea. I'm going to keep hoping that until there's a problem...
dinnerstick

Unread postby paddye » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:32 am

I have a length of flexible steel pipe with an inline fan in the middle, its a much bigger diameter than the hole in the top off the domed lid on the BM so anything that runs back down the pipe then runs down the outside of the domed lid. Ive only used it once and kept an eye out for anything running back down the pipe but didnt see anything except for when I moved the pipe away from the lid.
paddye

Unread postby Eldoreth » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:25 am

How do you guys go about hopadditions when using the domed lid with a flexible hose on?
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Do any of you actually brew with the BM in the house? I STILL haven't received confirmation of shipping my BM yet, despite hearing from Speidel that it was supposed to ship last week.. but. I'm still trying to decide where to place my 220v outlet.

It seems, if I were to place it inside the house.. or modify the unused outlet behind the stove, I would be facing a huge humidity problem, boiling off so many liters of water. If I were to do brew in the summer, I would have to turn on an exhaust fan and suck all the cool air created by the A/C out while replacing it with warm air from outside. Conversely, if I were to brew inside in the winter, all of the warm air created by the furnace would have to be replaced as the exhaust fan pulls my conditioned house air out. Furnace off/on/off/on.

I can only see brewing in my detached garage at the moment.. or out on the back porch which could be pretty cold. I know it's not like where some of you live.. as I only get down to about 10*C at brewing times in the winter. But, even that, is affecting the efficiency of the BM's ability to maintain a boil. (? again, speaking from inexperience)
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:18 pm

One of the main reasons for my purchase was the ability to brew in house. I brew in a heated finished basement and all I do is run a small fan in the room as well as the recirc air that we all have now in Canada. Our house now are so well insulated and airtight that we require air recirculation from the outside.
I just did my 32nd BM brew and have had no moisture/mildew/mould problems yet. :)
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby paddye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Eldoreth wrote:How do you guys go about hopadditions when using the domed lid with a flexible hose on?

its not attached to my domed lid, just rests over the hole so when I want to add hops i just pull the extraction pipe away and drop the hops in.
paddye

Unread postby paddye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:02 pm

HbgBill wrote:Do any of you actually brew with the BM in the house? I STILL haven't received confirmation of shipping my BM yet, despite hearing from Speidel that it was supposed to ship last week.. but. I'm still trying to decide where to place my 220v outlet.

It seems, if I were to place it inside the house.. or modify the unused outlet behind the stove, I would be facing a huge humidity problem, boiling off so many liters of water. If I were to do brew in the summer, I would have to turn on an exhaust fan and suck all the cool air created by the A/C out while replacing it with warm air from outside. Conversely, if I were to brew inside in the winter, all of the warm air created by the furnace would have to be replaced as the exhaust fan pulls my conditioned house air out. Furnace off/on/off/on.

I can only see brewing in my detached garage at the moment.. or out on the back porch which could be pretty cold. I know it's not like where some of you live.. as I only get down to about 10*C at brewing times in the winter. But, even that, is affecting the efficiency of the BM's ability to maintain a boil. (? again, speaking from inexperience)

The first two i did on the balcony, the last one i did in my bathroom. the pipe/fan combo hanging out the bathroom window worked a treat.
paddye

Unread postby perdido » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

I brew in the kitchen. It's fairly low humidity here year round, but when it gets cold and rainy I turn on the kitchen stove vent to remove some humidity outside. It doesn't get too bad anyway. The weather here allows to open our windows most days.
perdido

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 pm

different relative humidity levels here, i used to brew in the kitchen next to an open window, but very little of the water vapor made it outside, instead it used to condense on the ceiling and rain back. it became a total no-go as the apartment would just be thick with moisture in the winter, and my girlfriend's face would display heavy dissatisfaction. with my extractor fan now everyone is happy.
dinnerstick

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:18 am

I think, more than anything else, is sucking air/moisture OUT of the house. That air has to be replaced somehow.. That means sucking cold air IN from outside.. Seems like a lot of furnace time to keep the house warm in the winter :)
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks