Overnight mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Overnight mashing

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat May 24, 2014 7:29 pm

For the last step, you don't need to worry about the time setting, the BM will sit there beeping and pumping forever until you press a button, then it will stop pumping and beeping but will maintain temperature forever, until you press a button, then it will move onto the boil.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat May 24, 2014 11:13 pm

dinnerstick wrote:
anyways- 20deg 255min

I'd considered doing this and having a very long soak at 20 and then timing it so the the mash out finished as normal in the morning, but ended up doing it the other way around and mashing as normal, but with an extended, overnight hold, at mash out temperature 77.

Given that you were up early and didn't have the extended mash out rest I would be interested to hear what differences you think the long soak at 20 may have made to your results.

Apart from the obvious convenience factor that is.

Did you experience.........

Improved efficiency?
A more fluid grist?
Any frothing?
Anything else of note?

I'm just curious as I was going to go this route and chickened out as others had done the overnight at 78 thing already with good results.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun May 25, 2014 7:45 am

brautim- my brew room is very close to my bedroom, tried to avoid a rude beepy wakeup call.
cervantes- so far nothing weird. no frothing. have to crunch the efficiency numbers, will get back to you on that. this is the first brew where i have not even looked at let alone stirred the grist after doughing in. i left it to do its thing, lifted to drain in the morning, haven't even lifted the top plate off yet, it's still sitting there waiting for me to clean it out (very soon). i can't really think of anything that the 20 degrees may have influenced, but if anything comes up i'll be sure to post back.
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon May 26, 2014 11:50 am

i put the numbers into beersmith for the brew i described above. since i didn't know what i would get for efficiency due to new mashing technique and no sparge, i went with a slightly lower than normal amount of base malt, with the idea to fine tune the 'final' (starting) gravity using DME. this was a 25L batch size with OG 1.058, which needed 650g extract in the end. i got total efficiency of 65.6%, quite low as i normally get 72-76% depending on recipe. but if i'm trading a few efficiency points for this ease of brewing, no worries! i have no idea how well the mash circulated, or if there were any problems, as i was asleep. i can confirm that the yeast are pleased with the outcome, as they have decided to blow off all over the place.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon May 26, 2014 11:53 am

dinnerstick wrote:i put the numbers into beersmith for the brew i described above. since i didn't know what i would get for efficiency due to new mashing technique and no sparge, i went with a slightly lower than normal amount of base malt, with the idea to fine tune the 'final' (starting) gravity using DME. this was a 25L batch size with OG 1.058, which needed 650g extract in the end. i got total efficiency of 65.6%, quite low as i normally get 72-76% depending on recipe. but if i'm trading a few efficiency points for this ease of brewing, no worries! i have no idea how well the mash circulated, or if there were any problems, as i was asleep. i can confirm that the yeast are pleased with the outcome, as they have decided to blow off all over the place.

That's interesting.

I found that doing it the other way around and sitting all night at mash out temperatures my efficiencies actually improved.

It was also the first time that I actually gave the mash a stir as well though, so that may have been a contributing factor.

Oh and come to think of it, it's also the first time that I used any form of water treatment, so it could have been any number of things.......................
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 pm

i kind of expected higher efficiency. i don't know how much of the lower % i can attribute to not sparging, i know lots of people do sparge and lots don't but i have not been interested enough to read what difference people get between the two. anyone? or should i go read the no sparge thread... other than that i'm a bit stumped, unless somehow i didn't get good circulation. in the past this has always been associated with a very full malt pipe, and that was not the case with this brew, just under 6kg grains in the mash (BM20), was circulating fine at 20 deg when i went to bed
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon May 26, 2014 12:14 pm

My overnighter was the first time that I didn't sparge as I didn't have any hot water ready when I got up, so just squeezed down on the top plate of the malt pipe to get out as much liquid as I could and then topped up with water as required during the boil.

So sparging didn't contribute to my improved efficiencies, although squeezing may have done as that was a first for me as well.

I really should be more scientific about my brewing and try and cut down on the variables......................
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 pm

dinnerstick wrote:brautim- my brew room is very close to my bedroom, tried to avoid a rude beepy wakeup call.

Ahh yes, if you start the mash and then go to bed in close proximity, I could see that would be a problem.

Cervantes wrote: although squeezing may have done as that was a first for me as well..

I've never thought about squeezing the malt pipe, maybe this should go into the hints & tips section.
BrauTim

Unread postby Dicko » Mon May 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Just a little bit more off topic :D but over the last few brews I have been pushing down on the top plate of the malt pipe and although I haven't gained any measurable efficiency I have gained a bit more wort and have changed my absorption rate to suit.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon May 26, 2014 9:51 pm

BrauTim wrote:I've never thought about squeezing the malt pipe, maybe this should go into the hints & tips section.

Dicko wrote:Just a little bit more off topic :D but over the last few brews I have been pushing down on the top plate of the malt pipe and although I haven't gained any measurable efficiency I have gained a bit more wort and have changed my absorption rate to suit.

I've always squeezed a little, I can't help myself as I hate waste, but until last brew have held back squeezing too hard as all of the BIAB guys warn not to squeeze too hard as it causes astringency.

This was a porter and I sampled at the end of Primary and didn't detect any astringency. But as mentioned before I don't have the best educated of palates.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue May 27, 2014 6:34 am

i don't buy the squeezing-astringency link. when i'm not using the BM i make little BIAB test batches ~5-6L on the stovetop. i squeeze the dickens out of that bag. light beers like saisons/farmhouse, no hint of the threatened astringency
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed May 28, 2014 6:21 am

This is an extract from an article on the web.

If the pH rises to 5.8 or above, the combination of heat and high pH will cause tannins to be extracted at an unacceptably high rate. This is the major point in the brewing process at which brewers can keep their tannin levels in check. By keeping the temperature below 170 °F (77 °C) and the pH below 5.8, you can keep tannin extraction during wort collection to a reasonable level.

So basically if your temp is below 77 and your PH below 5.8 then tannin extraction, and so astringency, shouldn't be a problem.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Batz » Wed May 28, 2014 8:34 am

Brew day tomorrow, overnight mashing again tonight. I'll do two brews, turn out 100lt of beer and be done and cleaned up by 11.30am.

Dunkel and a Far Kin Lager.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Batz » Thu May 29, 2014 5:47 am

Well worked out well 7 points above my expected OG.

DSCF3698.JPG
DSCF3696.JPG
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Overnight mashing

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am

Batz wrote:Well worked out well 7 points above my expected OG.

To get 100l you must start early to finish by 1130am!

Are they in cubes awaiting fermenter time?
BrauTim

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks