Overnight mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Overnight mashing

Unread postby fy0d0r » Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 am

I've got two positive, BUT, I've tried on Weizenbock and Saison, which are not the "cleanest" styles.
The ideal test would be some lager to ensure that there are no off-flavors from tannins or something else.
fy0d0r

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 am

I did my first overnight mash and all went well.

I just ran my normal mash profile and left the BM beeping at the end of mash out overnight.

When I took the lid off I did find a lot of foam though........

foam.JPG
Foam after over night mash

Not sure if it's caused by the long mash time of maybe the malt. It was my first time using chocolate malt.

The wort smelled and tasted fine, so I don't think it's a problem.

I also got great mash efficiency with Beersmith giving me 84.5%.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed May 07, 2014 2:09 am

Cervantes wrote:

The overnight mash must've removed every single milligram of sugars from the malt :wink:

Nice result! :beer:

Unread postby Nath83 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:18 am

Cervantes wrote:

Was that actually the mash eff or the brewhouse eff? Beersmith tells me I've been getting around 98% eff on normal mashes
Nath83

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 am

Nath83 wrote:Was that actually the mash eff or the brewhouse eff? Beersmith tells me I've been getting around 98% eff on normal mashes

Mash Efficiency.

Brewhouse was 77.4%
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon May 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I've just done an 50L overnighter but pulled the malt pipe before heading to bed to let it drain with the malt pipe above the BM and no lid on. Started again this morning and found 10 litres had disappeared overnight, so putting a lid on it even at 78°C makes a big difference, I had to top it up before the boil!
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Twonky » Tue May 20, 2014 5:24 pm

BrauTim wrote:I've just done an 50L overnighter and no lid on. Started again this morning and found 10 litres had disappeared overnight

Sounds like a good way to do a really big beer ;-)

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue May 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Twonky wrote:
BrauTim wrote:I've just done an 50L overnighter and no lid on. Started again this morning and found 10 litres had disappeared overnight

Sounds like a good way to do a really big beer ;-)

Cheers
:cheers:

I like this forum for its out-of-the-box thinking :lol:
BrauTim

Unread postby pmac » Wed May 21, 2014 8:32 am

Cervantes wrote:I did my first overnight mash and all went well.

I just ran my normal mash profile and left the BM beeping at the end of mash out overnight.

When I took the lid off I did find a lot of foam though........

foam.JPG

Not sure if it's caused by the long mash time of maybe the malt. It was my first time using chocolate malt.

The wort smelled and tasted fine, so I don't think it's a problem.

I have been thinking of this, how long exactly did you leave it before attending to it in the morning? What is your normal mash schedule?

I tend to fill the water in the night before and perhaps crush the grain to cut down my brew day (have 2 kids).

But this seems a good way to keep the good wife happy by doing half at night and then finishing off the next morning. Might have to try it myself.
pmac

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed May 21, 2014 8:50 am

pmac wrote:I have been thinking of this, how long exactly did you leave it before attending to it in the morning? What is your normal mash schedule?

I tend to fill the water in the night before and perhaps crush the grain to cut down my brew day (have 2 kids).

But this seems a good way to keep the good wife happy by doing half at night and then finishing off the next morning. Might have to try it myself.

From memory I set the BM running late afternoon, so it would probably have finished it's normal mash schedule at say 8:00 PM and then sat there at 77 all night until I got to it at about 07:00 the next morning.

I used the following mash schedule............

Mash In - 40 - 10 Minutes
Beta Amylase - 69 - 60 Minutes
Alpha Amylase - 71 - 20 Minutes
Mash Out - 77 - 15 minutes. Or in this case over night.

This was for a full bodied Porter.
Last edited by Cervantes on Thu May 22, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby pmac » Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am

Cheers, I will give this a go one night soon.
pmac

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu May 22, 2014 4:59 pm

i'm going to try my first overnight mash this weekend, so i've just re-read the whole thread. a couple times the issue of extended mashout (78) temp has come up, i was also wondering about whether this would have a negative effect, extract tannins, whatever. not to harp on about it but i was brewing in a proper brewery last week (posted a thread in the showoff area) and was surprised by the amount of time the malt sits at mashout temp in their mash tun. they ramp up to 78, then begin recirculating to set the grain ben, that takes say half hour, then lauter incredibly slowly. it took hours, all the time at 78. occasionally they push water back up through the grain bed, then recirc to reset it, lauter. then a sparge, and repeat the process. all in all it was 3+ hours to run off the wort. this is their normal brewing process, and there is nothing like an astringent note in their beers. i think it's quite normal for other breweries also but i cold be mistaken. regardless i am no longer afraid of a few hours at 78!
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu May 22, 2014 9:46 pm

That's very interesting information.

I certainly didn't detect any astringency in my Porter, but then it's a full flavoured beer and it may go undetected.

The other thing I should mention is that I squeezed the hell out of the grain by pushing down hard and long of the top filter plate to get everything out that I could as I had forgotten to have any hot water ready for the rinse/sparge.

This should in theory also have added to any astringency, but when I sampled the beer when transferring from primary to secondary, I didn't detect any.

But then I don't have the most educated palate in the world......................

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by Cervantes on Fri May 23, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri May 23, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm sure that astringency only becomes a potential problem at temps over 80°C which is why mashout is at 78°C.
BrauTim

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat May 24, 2014 4:54 pm

BrauTim wrote:I'm sure that astringency only becomes a potential problem at temps over 80°C which is why mashout is at 78°C.

exactly!
i did my first overnight mash last night. the maximum step time on my bm is 255 minutes, i saw that others had only 180 or so? anyways-
20deg 255min
52 15
68 120
78 255
78 255
oddly, i recently bought a really cheap alarm clock, i normally rely on my cohabitor to rouse me, the clock jumped about 3 hours in the night, so when i woke up for a piss it said it was 10:30 already, went out and cancelled the mash, but it was only 30min into the first prolonged mashout. anyways raised the malt pipe and let it drain before finally figuring out it was 7:30 am and i was already brewing. no sparge, topped with water, made some beer. it's a well tried recipe so i should be able to tell immediately if anything has gone wrong, but everything seemed in order! going to serve it at a local music festival if anyone is around 14 june... woodlum festival in utrecht
dinnerstick

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks