Overnight mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Overnight mashing

Unread postby squadricus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:25 pm

I used to mash overnight in an electrically-heated, ss catering warmer. I would dough in and plug an extension cord into the build in heater plug, and it would slowly ramp up the ~ 40 L batch temperature overnight. In the morning, starch conversion tested complete and I would start lautering (I had it modified with a drain port and a false bottom). This worked well for many batches.

In one instance, a home repair emergency didn't allow me to start lautering as intended, and I neglected to unplug it, so the heated mash ran for another whole day, 40 hours total. I don't recall the grain bill, might be able to locate it, but I tended to use a lot of Gambrinus and Great Western Canadian malts, as well as Hugh Bairds. The result of mashing this way, with the mash boiling when I got to it the following morning was extremely high DMS levels in the beer produced.

I purged it with lots of CO2, but by the time I got rid of the DMS, I had also stripped out most of the volatiles malt and hop character. I added elderberries to make a fruit beer of it, which was eventually consumed. I don't recall picking up any astringency. So anecdotally, higher temperatures at extended times at mash conditions didn't give astringency, but DMS is something to consider.

That said, I am looking forward to trying the overnight/overday approach.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Model: 50 litres

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks