Overnight mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Overnight mashing

Unread postby jimswms » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Gonna try this for the first time on a Saison. Something about an extended mash vs. overnight mash out makes sense to me, so that's the plan. Can anyone recommend a mash schedule for a dry saison?

Cheers
Jim
jimswms

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:59 pm

jimswms wrote:Gonna try this for the first time on a Saison. Something about an extended mash vs. overnight mash out makes sense to me, so that's the plan. Can anyone recommend a mash schedule for a dry saison?

Cheers
Jim

The mash schedule I used for my dry Belgian a few posts back has the yeast going from 1.075, currently at 1.007 and still dropping after 11 days, could be as much about the yeast as the mash though (Yeastbay Dry Belgian).

Mash-in 38°C Rest for 10 mins and stir
Rest at 63°C for an hour, stir halfway through
Rest at 71°C for 30 mins
Rest at 78°C overnight
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm

I'm finally jumping on the overnight mash bandwagon this weekend. I plan to rebrew my Light Premium American Lager. Dough in Friday night, boil Saturday morning! Since the recipe already had 86% efficiency and fermented out to 1.006 the first time, I'm actually hoping there isn't much difference when I do it overnight.

Unread postby jimswms » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Thanks. I decided to put it off until tomorrow, but that looks good. Maybe, I'll try the overnight mash out afterall!
jimswms

Unread postby DWP » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:40 am

Its been a while since I done a Overnight Mash but one thing I noticed from the 3 consecutive batches was the darker colour the wort and final beer was. I would have only an extended mash out @ 78c for about 90-120m using the first 2 phases at 25c for the max 180m each.

Has anyone else seen the colour shift for the final beers by overnight mashing?
DWP

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:32 am

DWP - second that. I consistently get darker colors (generally) and with overnight mash in particular.

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Nesto wrote:I'm finally jumping on the overnight mash bandwagon this weekend. I plan to rebrew my Light Premium American Lager. Dough in Friday night, boil Saturday morning! Since the recipe already had 86% efficiency and fermented out to 1.006 the first time, I'm actually hoping there isn't much difference when I do it overnight.
How did it go? Would you do it again? What schedule did you use?
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:06 pm

ibbones wrote:
Nesto wrote:I'm finally jumping on the overnight mash bandwagon this weekend. I plan to rebrew my Light Premium American Lager. Dough in Friday night, boil Saturday morning! Since the recipe already had 86% efficiency and fermented out to 1.006 the first time, I'm actually hoping there isn't much difference when I do it overnight.
How did it go? Would you do it again? What schedule did you use?

It went terribly... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=930&start=15#p9141

I did this:
40C - 10min
63C - 120min
70C - 10min
77C - 180min
77C - 180min

Unread postby RobW » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:05 am

I've done 2 overnight mashes to date. The first I held at 20oC for an extended period and then ran a normal cycle but with longer beta & alpha rests.
The second I ran a normal cycle with extended mash rests and then held at mashout until I was ready to continue.
The second beer is better than the first (which is still OK) but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that because they are completely different beers (Munich lager and Belgian pale) with no ingredients in common.
What I'm more interested in is how much work the pump does.
Does holding at 20 for an extended period mean the pump works less than holding the mashout temp for longer?
How much recirculation happens holding at mashout temp?
Is it an issue?
What is the rated life of a Braumeister pump?

Cheers

Rob
RobW

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:20 am

i am not aware of any program differences, the pump shuts off above 80, but below 80 the pump breaks should come at standard intervals. pumping 20 degree wort would be more work for the pump than pumping 78 degree wort of the same composition due to viscosity differences, but 20 degree wort we are pumping has a very different composition (ie much less sugar) so it's hard to guess.
dinnerstick

Unread postby RobW » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 pm

If the initial wait phases are set at or below ambient so there is no heating required does the pump still recirculate?
I didn't watch when I did this, just flicked the switch and went to bed. :o

I guess the real question is how much does it shorten the pump life to run 8 hr mashes rather than standard length ones - or isn't it an issue?

Cheers

Rob
RobW

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:52 am

RobW wrote:If the initial wait phases are set at or below ambient so there is no heating required does the pump still recirculate?
I didn't watch when I did this, just flicked the switch and went to bed. :o

I guess the real question is how much does it shorten the pump life to run 8 hr mashes rather than standard length ones - or isn't it an issue?

Cheers

Rob

Given I've read brewers using a BM for 100s of brews over the last few years, I don't think it should be a big concern.

Unread postby mattp94 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 pm

I have finally given in and have just set my first overnight mash to run. It's what I'm calling a Pacific pale ale. After brewing lots of 6%+ abv beers over the last couple of months I'm now aiming for a 4.5%abv session pale ale with lots of nice zesty, citrusy hops like Citra and Pacific Jade. My new BM20 can only manage a max of 180 minute for each rest so I've gone for the following:
Code: Select all
20°C - 160 mins
52°C - 20 mins
66°C - 180 mins
78°C - 180 mins
78°C - 60 mins

Hopefully that will mean that it will be ready to remove the malt pipe at 9am tomorrow after I've dropped my daughter off at nursery.

Fingers crossed.
mattp94

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mattp94 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Well that all went very nicely to plan. The overnight mash went without incident and my mash efficiency jumped from 76% to 86%, so a great result. Felt decidedly strange packing everything away by lunchtime but I could get used to this. Overnight mash is the way forward for me now i think. The only problem is that my session PA (planned to be 4.5% abv) is now likely to come out at something like 5.2%.
With the extra time I also could leave the hops and trub to settle for longer so had a much better yield to the fermenter than my previous 3 brews. :D
mattp94

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Good news.

My experience is that the extended mashout somehow improves the efficiency.

I don't know how though as in theory the temperature should denature any remaining enzymes..................... :?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks