Overnight mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:08 pm

It's a shame that the BM can't be automated to start at a time. It's certainly something they should consider in future models.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:49 pm

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 pm

Beerkench wrote:It's a shame that the BM can't be automated to start at a time. It's certainly something they should consider in future models.


That would be a great feature if it was introduced, and if you could update your controller with new updates as they come out would be excellent.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Batz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:13 am

DWP wrote:Hi Batz,

Is it correct to read this that you left it beeping for that long then pulled the mash pipe? the BM held the mashout temp right through till then??

My LHBS were is bought the rig has suggested a few times you can mash in at tap temp ( which is always do ) and set the first rest for 399mins which is a bit over 6.5hrs. This means you can mash in at like 9 or 10 at night and by 5am the temp ramps up and around 7-8am it is ready to pull the malt pipe.

anyone tried it that way which would be the opp to the OP method.


Yes mine was beeping for a few hours, I know Florian mashes by setting a step or two at the max time but the temperature setting below what it already is. This means when the time passes the BM just goes to the next step.

My brew was a Farmhouse Saison so I think all will be good.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Lac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:44 am

DWP wrote:Is it correct to read this that you left it beeping for that long................


Just plug it in manual mode and you can adjust the heat as you want and with or without circulation, when you continue just set it back to auto.
Lac
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Denmark
Model: 20 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:12 am

Dicko wrote:
Beerkench wrote:It's a shame that the BM can't be automated to start at a time. It's certainly something they should consider in future models.


That would be a great feature if it was introduced, and if you could update your controller with new updates as they come out would be excellent.


it's probably worth bringing up good ideas like this to the people at speidel!
User avatar
dinnerstick
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 am
Location: Utrecht NL
Model: 20 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Batz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:03 am

Lac wrote:
DWP wrote:Is it correct to read this that you left it beeping for that long................


Just plug it in manual mode and you can adjust the heat as you want and with or without circulation, when you continue just set it back to auto.


The idea of my experiment was to sleep through all this, wake up lift the malt pipe and make a coffee, sparge, drink coffee and start the boil. Now get dressed and feed the chickens. Brew day is well underway by 6.00am. When I brew I always do a double batch, brew one and then start another, it's a big day but I love it.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby niels » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:45 am

Batz wrote:The idea of my experiment was to sleep through all this, wake up lift the malt pipe and make a coffee, sparge, drink coffee and start the boil. Now get dressed and feed the chickens. Brew day is well underway by 6.00am. When I brew I always do a double batch, brew one and then start another, it's a big day but I love it.

Are both batches of the same recipe (so they end up together in the fermentor) or do you make two different beers?

Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Batz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:30 pm

niels wrote:
Batz wrote:The idea of my experiment was to sleep through all this, wake up lift the malt pipe and make a coffee, sparge, drink coffee and start the boil. Now get dressed and feed the chickens. Brew day is well underway by 6.00am. When I brew I always do a double batch, brew one and then start another, it's a big day but I love it.

Are both batches of the same recipe (so they end up together in the fermentor) or do you make two different beers?

Niels



Two different beers, last time a Siason (extended mash), then an APA.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Batz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 am

Well tonight I'm doing another extended over night mash, again a siason. I think you can do this with safely this style, that and I'm enjoying my last siason so much.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby niels » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 am

Batz wrote:Well tonight I'm doing another extended over night mash, again a siason. I think you can do this with safely this style, that and I'm enjoying my last siason so much.

Batz

And we are very interested in the recipe... ;)

I won't be doing overnight mashes. Somewhere deep down I'm afraid my house will burn down.

Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Twonky » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:54 pm

dinnerstick wrote:
Dicko wrote:
Beerkench wrote:It's a shame that the BM can't be automated to start at a time. It's certainly something they should consider in future models.


That would be a great feature if it was introduced, and if you could update your controller with new updates as they come out would be excellent.


it's probably worth bringing up good ideas like this to the people at speidel!


Good thinking I'll get in touch with my contact ;-)
However updating existing BM's is not an option I already asked if that was possible....

however if equipped with a programming contact it shouldn't be too hard, I haven't opened the controller unit yet so not sure on the hardware side of things....

But the delayed start would be a nice option that should not be to hard to add....

:cheers:
Cheers
Twonky
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Almere, Nederlad
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Batz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 am

Twonky wrote:
dinnerstick wrote:
Dicko wrote:
That would be a great feature if it was introduced, and if you could update your controller with new updates as they come out would be excellent.


it's probably worth bringing up good ideas like this to the people at speidel!


Good thinking I'll get in touch with my contact ;-)
However updating existing BM's is not an option I already asked if that was possible....

however if equipped with a programming contact it shouldn't be too hard, I haven't opened the controller unit yet so not sure on the hardware side of things....

But the delayed start would be a nice option that should not be to hard to add....

:cheers:
Cheers



You only need to over-ride the "filled in the malt pipe" bit so you do not have to push a button. Then you could start by using a simple timer in the GPO.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 am

I think once you plug the timer in and there is no power to the BM you have to start from scratch with the program...or am I wrong?
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
User avatar
Dicko
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm
Location: Port Lincoln South Oz
Model: 20 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Batz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:15 am

Dicko wrote:I think once you plug the timer in and there is no power to the BM you have to start from scratch with the program...or am I wrong?


Yep that's the problem, you need to by-pass that.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
User avatar
Batz
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Queensland Australia
Model: 50 litres

RE: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Twonky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 pm

EMailed with Speidel today, and their response was:

About the setting of the start time for the next day
we had discussed this some years ago.

The problem is that it is not conform to legal aspects
to start the unit running without being in the near of it
for a longer time


Okay too bad.....
:cheers:
Twonky
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Almere, Nederlad
Model: 50 litres

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest