Overnight mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Overnight mashing

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:22 am

I overnight mashed again yesterday for an LCPA clone.

Got 103% mash efficiency from Beersmith.

This really does fit in well with my available time for brewing and also seems to give better yields.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 am

i'm just ramping my second overnight mash to the boil. used the efficiency numbers from my last one, but way overshot this time! tot eff = 82.5... so this has gone from a 25L batch to 28L! more beer = happier people. the only big difference is that i sparged this one.
the recipe has about 25% wheat malt, 8% flaked oats, and some rye malt and unmalted oats in there just to gum up the mash as much as possible. there was some evidence of channeling when i checked it in the morning, one small fountain at the side, but no evidence of violent eruptions. mash schedule was (dough in @ 20)
temp -- min
20 -- 255
40 -- 15 = b-glucan
52 -- 15 = protein
68 -- 120 = high beta sacc
78 -- 255 = mashout
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:29 am

Dinnerstick,

What did you brew?

Looks like it's going to be a very full bodied beer.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 am

you'd think so, but.... i'm playing with the white labs brettanomyces bruxellensis 'trois' strain which, contrary to it being brett, makes super fruity beers, it produces ripe mango esters somehow. it makes an amazing yank-style IPA, but being brett it chews right through an ordinary grain bill leaving a watery beer. i'm formulating a session/summer pale ale recipe as a easy drinker and hop showcase, and this was my second version of it. the first came out really tasty (just posting a picture in the show-us-your-pint thread) but even with the high wheat and flaked oats % still needed a bit more body, the second is going to be a 3.5ish %abv beer (1.038 OG) so i really needed to pack the malt bill with sticky stuff. this version is cascade and el dorado and i can hear it bubbling away as i type! for any locals this will be on tap at the third (annual) brettanomyces en andere wilde dieren festival aka amsterdam brett fest put on by the bierkoning, and it will be called 'alpha doradus'.
unless it comes out tasting like dish water, then i'll just drink it on my own in the dark.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:39 am

dinnerstick wrote:unless it comes out tasting like dish water, then i'll just drink it on my own in the dark.

:lol:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:49 am

i just did my 3rd overnight mash. second one gave low but ok efficiency, i think 70% total, so i based this recipe on that number, the idea for this one was to mash 5.8kg of grain and bump the gravity at the end with some DME to get 1.056, but i got 82%, so the wort with no dme is actually one point higher than my OG was supposed to be with the DME! it was a hugely different recipe and mash schedule than the previous, i wonder if the difference is due to those variables....
dinnerstick

Overnight Mashing Causing Stronger Colour and Flavour.

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:11 am

I think that when letting my wort sit a mash out temps overnight I'm not only getting improved efficiency, but am also getting a lot more flavour and colour from the malts.

Both beers that I have done this with have turned out very dark and very strong flavoured.

One was a Robust Porter and so the results suit the style, but the other was an APA and it has turned out very dark in colour and with an intense flavour that is probably a bit much for the style.

Has anyone else noticed this with extended mash periods?
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby fy0d0r » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:35 am

+ 1 for the color

My recent Saison turned a bit darker than you expect from pilsner+wheat, haven't noticed any increased malt notes though
fy0d0r

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Batz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:10 am

I only have used overnight mashing on darker beers and saisons, but agree the outcome is always good.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 am

I overnight mashed again yesterday for an LCPA clone. Got 103% mash efficiency from Beersmith.

Hi Cervantes,

What a mash efficiency :beerbang:

What sort of things you do to get such a result?
- How do you milt the grain and from maltser do you get the malt?
- Mash water pH under 5.6?
- What mash shedule you use? I suppose you do not stir the wort during the mash since you are doing overnight mashing shedule!
- Any tricks in the BM?

Anyone here uses the maximal time (180 or 255min.) at maltose rest 65C and sacharif. rest 72C instead of prolonging Mash out 78C?

:cheers:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby rocketman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:23 am

Just read all of the thread and I'm convinced to try! Thanks guys for making the ground work! Now I need to find a good recipe.
rocketman

Unread postby Batz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:12 am

rocketman wrote:Just read all of the thread and I'm convinced to try! Thanks guys for making the ground work! Now I need to find a good recipe.

I positionally think it is one of the BM's best options.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:50 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:
I overnight mashed again yesterday for an LCPA clone. Got 103% mash efficiency from Beersmith.

Hi Cervantes,

What a mash efficiency :beerbang:

What sort of things you do to get such a result?
- How do you milt the grain and from maltser do you get the malt?
- Mash water pH under 5.6?
- What mash shedule you use? I suppose you do not stir the wort during the mash since you are doing overnight mashing shedule!
- Any tricks in the BM?

Anyone here uses the maximal time (180 or 255min.) at maltose rest 65C and sacharif. rest 72C instead of prolonging Mash out 78C?

:cheers:

Luis

Grain was milled to the 1.2mm gap that everyone on here seems to use.

My records tell me that I mashed in at 38, held for 10 minutes at 40, 60 minutes 67, 20 minutes at 71 and mashed out 78 overnight.

I also stirred twice during the mash, but didn't record when.

I treated rainwater and recorded a PH of 5.24 during the mash, which is a bit lower than I was aiming for.

I wouldn't trust the figures 100% though as I am a bit haphazard when if comes to measuring volumes and tend to just take a best guess.

I hope this helps
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby perdido » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:03 am

I did my first overnight mash last weekend!

I was a bit worried as I've suffered wort fountains in the past. I did try to get a coarser grind out of my corona mill.
I set the first step ar 20ºC for a couple of hours, then a normal mash regime and let it at 78ºC until I woke up.

I was also worried about lactic acid bacteria growing during the 20ºC step and souring the mash but I checked the pH in the morning and it was 5,15 from 5,2. So it was a bit lower but nothing to worry about.
I'm hoping that the extended 78ºC step does not affect negatively the flavor due to hot side aeration. But it's an IPA so the hops may cover up any stale flavours derived from the mash!
perdido

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:57 am

renowned brewing chemist charlie bamforth, in various appearances on brewing podcasts and the like, has repeatedly undercut the whole notion of hot side aeration drastically affecting beer flavor via staling. according to him (for a recent rant on the topic listen to the recent beersmith podcast, if you can stand the horrible interviewing style of the host, on 'flavor stability in beer') what happens on the cold side, most importantly preventing oxidation after fermentation, and slowing down general staling reactions that take place with age mostly via regulating storage temperature, is FAR more important than any very tiny effects that hot side aeration might contribute. i believe him!
dinnerstick

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks