Parti-Gyle brewing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Parti-Gyle brewing

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:54 am

Ideally you'd need an additional boiler to use this brewing technique, but not necessary, it's definitely on my bucket list of brewing things to try, especially now I have 2 fermenting fridges and space to do it (plus an old gas fired boiler). The BM should make it a fairly easy technique to use and it links-in with other mashing methods we talk about on this forum.

Parti-Gyle brewing history and methods

Has anyone else tried this? I know that commercially Fullers use this technique and then blend the worts to make at least 3 of their styles from the same mash! It's interesting to note that historically the XXX, XX and X designations came from this technique and that Entire Porter was named after the method.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Parti-Gyle brewing

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:30 pm

I've been thinking how this could be achieved with the 50L BM. Looking to brew an equal batch of 22 litres of ESB at around 5.5% ABV (14.2°P) and 22 litres of an Ordinary Bitter at around 4.2% ABV (10.68°P) from the same batch of malt, using the calculation on the Parti Gyle info page the main batch will need to be 1.050 SG (12.44°P), this equates to 9Kg of base malt in Beersmith.

I think the technique would go something like this:

Use the 50L malt pipe.
    Disconnect the outer heating element if needed (will have to see what the levels are, but I suspect that the lower amount of water will expose the outer element).
    Run the BM in manual mode.

First Gyle
      • Mash at 66°C with 33.5l of liquor to provide pre-boil 29.5l which will boil down to 22l
      • Fill gas-fired boiler and get boiling (or set aside for later boil).
      Second Gyle
      • Leave malt pipe in situ.
      • Repeat as per first Gyle although it may be possible to use slightly less liquor (1, maybe 2 litres less) because wort will drip from the malt pipe when it is pulled

Add different hops for each boil and different yeasts for each fermentation as desired.

My current thoughts are that when draining the BM of the first Gyle there will be some wort left in the BM that can't be drained properly because the malt pipe will be preventing a full drain, so this quantity might need to be increased by a litre or so, at the end of it all, one can always liquor back or transfer wort between the two boils to adjust quantities.

Also when I judge my calculation against the tables in the info page, it appears that a 1.050 SG would provide 2 batches of 1.066 and 1.033 SG, so I'm not sure if my calculations are 100% or if the tables are incorrect.

I think this would make the brewday approx 2 hours longer, however this would provide two different beers at different strengths for one brewday.

Anyone have any thoughts on this process?
BrauTim

Unread postby Eldoreth » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:46 pm

Well I would certainly be interested in the outcome Tim. Are you going to give it a try? Bt
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 am

I think I will try this at the beginning of October.
BrauTim

Unread postby paulg » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 am

tim
I am not sure if I understand the method correctly.i read your post as mashing twice .ie first batch then run off and refill with liquor and reheat and mash for second time.When I read randy moshers article i read it as running off and sparging the required amount for the first gyle then sparging the second gyle not remashing.
I realise with the BM we wont need to sparge much if at all for the first gyle but do we then just sparge or mash again and sparge.
As I said I am interested and confused
thanks Paul
paulg

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm not sure how this would work. Obviously, I don't have my BM yet. However, when I have done PG in the past, it was merely rinsing the grains to get the last sugars out. I have not done that since I started BIAB as I do full volume mashing. Is that not what is done with the BM? If so, I would venture to say there is so little sugars left in the grain that it would not be practical. I would not expect to get more than 2-3 L of usable wort out of a 20L BM before the OG dropped so low that I'd have fear of extracting tannins. But, then again, I may learn something by trying.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:49 pm

paulg wrote:tim
I am not sure if I understand the method correctly.i read your post as mashing twice .ie first batch then run off and refill with liquor and reheat and mash for second time.When I read randy moshers article i read it as running off and sparging the required amount for the first gyle then sparging the second gyle not remashing.
I realise with the BM we wont need to sparge much if at all for the first gyle but do we then just sparge or mash again and sparge.
As I said I am interested and confused
thanks Paul

Didn't Led Zep do a song about that....oh no it was Dazed and Confused :D

Paul and Bill have pointed out that if I run a full mash then all the sugars will be extracted into the first Gyle which would give me something like 22litres of 1.090 wort and the second Gyle would probably be 22l of 1.015 wort, so I need to add a step in the process, something like this:

Measure the wort strength during the first Gyle until the desired pre-boil gravity is reached, then drain and refill for the second Gyle and continue the mash until second Gyle pre-boil gravity is reached.
BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:02 am

Slight change of plan - I'm going to be trying this in a couple of weeks with a Wheat beer, I've got some packs of Weiss and T-58 yeast to use, with a simple Pilsner/Wheat/Munich recipe and will add some dark malt for a Dunkel on the second Gyle, looking for a 5% and a 4% beer out of the same batch.
BrauTim

Return to General / Tips and Tricks