Cleaning BM

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Cleaning BM

Unread postby zlander » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 am

Hi,

just wondering how you guys clean your BMs ?
Currently I do it old fashioned way, with normal kitchen cleaner and a lot of scrubbing.
Wondering if there is easier way ? Just ordered PBW and will try soaking with it next time I brew.

T
zlander

Model: 50 litres

RE: Cleaning BM

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 am

I rinse mine with a hose and then fill around 12 litres of clean water and set the temp manually to heat to 60 deg c.
When it reaches this temp I turn it off and add the required amount of PBW and leave it soak overnite.
Next morning a quick wipe around the element and the internal surfaces with a non scratching scourer pad and rinse it with fresh clean water.
Over 40 brews and mine is still like new inside....
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 am

PBW + some elbow grease.

Unread postby niels » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm

I use a eco dishwasher liquid (no parfum, plant based and mineral ingredients) and a handbrush/towel directly after a brew. This works pretty well.

Last time I couldn't clean up my BM right away so I rinsed it and let it soak in PBW for a few hours until I was able to spend some time cleaning it.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:19 am

i save ~10-12 liters of cooling water from the immersion chiller in a picnic cooler, dump that straight into the BM after knockout, with some oxyclean. i have never been able to find PBW in europe. if i am in the mood, fill back up to the ~23L mark to soak the ring of hot break and hops where the surface of the wort was. i leave it overnight and give it a light scrub with a scrubby sponge in the morning, taking care to clean around and behind the heating element. the hose for my immersion chiller fits perfectly into the in and out draws for the pump, so i blast it out from both directions
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 am

dinnerstick wrote:.. i have never been able to find PBW in europe. ...

Brouwland is now the distributor of the Five Star products in Europe, so Brouwmarkt and Van Der Kooy (among other resellers of Brouwland-stuff) sell them in the Netherlands.

Too bad that the prices are expensive compared to the US prices...

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 am

niels wrote:

Brouwland is now the distributor of the Five Star products in Europe, so Brouwmarkt and Van Der Kooy (among other resellers of Brouwland-stuff) sell them in the Netherlands.

Niels

Five Star products are very expensive in Australia as well.

The PBW is a great product.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 am

I order PBW from the US - it's MUCH cheaper than procuring it locally.

Now they even have it in 8lbs jugs for USD 40:

http://morebeer.com/products/cleaner-pbw-8-lbs.html

On a per-gram basis even with the shipping cost, it is a really good deal and will last for a loooooong time.

Fully agree with Dicko - it's absolutely great.

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:09 am

I think that if there is an agent for Five Star in the country you live then they insist you buy from that supplier. Or that is what the Aus agent claims
That is handy that Morebeer will send it direct to you in Singapore.

There are a group of guys in Australia who actually buy the two ingredients from PBW in bags from a chemical supplier and mix the two in a cement mixer then distribute it to anyone that wishes to participate.
The mixing was done under the supervision of a qualified chemist who is also a brewer.:)
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 am

MoreBeer (unlike Northern Brewer) ships internationally and I don't believe there is a reason why they wouldn't ship to Australia.

The USD 5/hour guys who work in their mailroom won't be checking whether or not there is a local agent for every item that you order :-)

I really enjoyed your story about the homemade PBW made with the cement mixer :beerbang:

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 pm

niels wrote:

Niels

thanks for the heads up. this must be a very recent development! i have been away from brewing a couple months to build my new brew space. sorry off topic but i hate brouwmarkt (nothing against brouwland be), currently in a spat with them as they double charged me and won't refund. got my BM and accessories from van der kooy so i'm pleased they now carry pbw!
dinnerstick

Return to General / Tips and Tricks