First Brew on the New Toy

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

First Brew on the New Toy

Unread postby Cap'n Greybeard » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Well, I went and DID it. Ordered a 20L and it should arrive this week. I've been following the threads on this forum as well as others and have a pretty good feel for what I'm getting into. But one question that remains open is the crush of the grain. Like everyone else I want to maximize mash efficiency but want to avoid "fountains". I have a Barley Crusher malt mill that's dialed in pretty well for BIAB, after making some adjustments from factory setup when I switched from 3V to BIAB several years ago.

So what's the consensus amongst the collective brain trust for minding the gap? I've still got an old set of metric feeler gauges for tuning an old 190SL Mercedes I had 40 years ago. If I clean off the grease they ought to be functional :cheers:

TIA,

The Cap'n
Cap'n Greybeard

Model: 20 litres

Re: First Brew on the New Toy

Unread postby niels » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:13 pm

I uses gap of about 1.2mm. You should grind a bit coarser than on a normal 3V vessel.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 pm

niels wrote:I uses gap of about 1.2mm. You should grind a bit coarser than on a normal 3V vessel.

- Niels

Welcome to the forum Cap'n

Got to agree with Niels here, 1.2 mm will get you going without any problems.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Cap'n Greybeard » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Niels and Dicko,

Thanks for the rapid responses. I was guessing somewhere between 1.2mm to 1.4mm as a starting point. I dug out my old feeler gauges for adjusting the dwell and valve lash on the '58 Benz and can get a gap of 1.15mm by combining several of them. Should be close enough for 'government work'.

How narrow of a gap starts giving folks problems? When I get a few brews under my belt on this toy I might try cranking the gap down to 1mm or so. I assume a lot depends on the grain bill and how viscous the mash is. It's been years since I've used rice hulls to help keep the mash/sparge flowing, and would like to avoid placing too much bulk in the mash pipe if possible.

Just got a notification from FedEx that Herr Braumeister is on the truck for delivery this pm. Woo Hoo! Will hopefully spend tonight and tomorrow working on setup, cleaning, familiarization and dry (actually wet) run with water but no grains to verify volumes and check for leaks. If all goes well, Saturday will be the maiden voyage for a Stone Brewing "Go To IPA" clone 'session IPA' (small beer: 9.2 lbs/4.18 kg grain bill). Then comes a Munchener Helles. Can't WAIT to do a complex step mash with this device!

:beer:

The Cap'n.
Cap'n Greybeard

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Ya got yours before mine was even shipped from Germany.. I'm still waiting for word. Anxious is not the word.. but I only placed my order on Aug 19th

BTW, where are you located?
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Cap'n Greybeard » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Suburban Maryland, an hour outside of D.C.

Ordered mine from MoreBeer, and it shipped from their East Coast warehouse in Pennsylvania. Last Friday I went on line to order, Tuesday it showed up on my doorstep! Not a bad turn-around time. Everything is in pristine condition. Now all I have to do is fabricate a L6-20 plug to a C13 fitting to about 25' of 12 gauge 3-wire.

Three-wire!?! Last time I said that it was on an aircraft carrier! (Navy pilots will understand).

Cap'n Greybeard
Cap'n Greybeard

Unread postby niels » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Cap'n Greybeard wrote:How narrow of a gap starts giving folks problems? When I get a few brews under my belt on this toy I might try cranking the gap down to 1mm or so. I assume a lot depends on the grain bill and how viscous the mash is. It's been years since I've used rice hulls to help keep the mash/sparge flowing, and would like to avoid placing too much bulk in the mash pipe if possible.

You're able to get a very good extract efficiency with a coarser grind (which is also recommended in the manual). A fine grind may cause wort fountains, so make sure you don't make flour out of your grains.

Once I brewed a beer with 50% raw wheat and had some flow problems. Next time I'll try adding oat husks or dried spend grains to a mash with lots of wheat/rye.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Cap'n,

When I got my BM I had my mill set at .9 mm but I lost efficiency.
I have a mate who bought one and he set his gap as other recommended at the time at 1.2mm and he got about 7% better efficiency than me.
It was a "no brainer". I adjusted my mill accordingly. :D

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Return to General / Tips and Tricks