Steeping adjuncts

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Steeping adjuncts

Unread postby malzrohr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am

McMullan wrote:...... Cold (room temp) steeped the black malt (282g) and crystal malt (171g) in 4.5L tap water (based on some loose advice of 1L/100g of grain. Looked and smelled wonderful after 24h....

Did you crush the malt?
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Batz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 am

Dicko wrote:
Batz wrote:This sounds like a great idea, I'm sure the roast malt would be of better flavour than mashing as well.

Hi Jeff,

it definately makes for a smoother flavour as it seems to cut down the harsh roast flavour from the dark grains being in the mash for extended times.

You wont be dissapointed.

:cheers:

For a while now I have been adding roast malt to the last 15 minutes of the mash, both on my old 3V and the BM. I really dislike the harsh flavour from very dark grains in a 60 minute plus mash.

Time for a stout.....if I ever finish this shut that is, working away atm.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby malzrohr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:14 pm

I thought I had read somewhere about cold vs. hot steeping. So I checked my library and found a reference in Brewing better Beer by Gordon Strong. On page 45 he writes that he found the best tasting results with cold steeping black malt while hot steeping tasted best with roasted malts. He mentions a steeping ratio of 1 US pound (454g) to 2 US quarts (1.9L) water. The cold steeped extract can be added to the fermenter or added during the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 pm

malzrohr wrote:I thought I had read somewhere about cold vs. hot steeping. So I checked my library and found a reference in Brewing better Beer by Gordon Strong. On page 45 he writes that he found the best tasting results with cold steeping black malt while hot steeping tasted best with roasted malts. He mentions a steeping ratio of 1 US pound (454g) to 2 US quarts (1.9L) water. The cold steeped extract can be added to the fermenter or added during the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil.

I would be very reluctant to add the steep liquid direct into the fermenter for reasons of infection.

I would definitely recommend a boil time to clean it up before fermentation.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby McMullan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:19 pm

malzrohr wrote:
McMullan wrote:...... Cold (room temp) steeped the black malt (282g) and crystal malt (171g) in 4.5L tap water (based on some loose advice of 1L/100g of grain. Looked and smelled wonderful after 24h....

Did you crush the malt?

Yes, after doing some reading I decided to crush as normal.
McMullan

Unread postby McMullan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:09 pm

malzrohr wrote:I thought I had read somewhere about cold vs. hot steeping. So I checked my library and found a reference in Brewing better Beer by Gordon Strong. On page 45 he writes that he found the best tasting results with cold steeping black malt while hot steeping tasted best with roasted malts. He mentions a steeping ratio of 1 US pound (454g) to 2 US quarts (1.9L) water. The cold steeped extract can be added to the fermenter or added during the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil.

That's interesting. I thought 1L/100g was too much (got that pointer from YouTube :lol: ), when I had to figure out how to add 4.5L. Seems to be a wide range of opinion on volume of water to the weight of steeped grains, without any justification for why x needs to be added to y. I'm looking at not diluting too much (taking my sparge back to 7) so need to consider a lower volume to weight. I got the 5X idea from here: http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/brewManual ... grains.pdf. To maximise efficiency of desirable extraction how about a longer steep time? 48h at room temp? Week in the fridge? How to assess quickly? Simple, subjective turbidity test and/or pH? Hot steeped as a positive control? I can feel some experimental design coming on. I might have to buy some more black malt! Anyone got a decent pH metre I could loan? Or a lab I could send samples to, for free analyses :D ? Actually, if you have you could run the experiment independently. A scientific commons for Braumeisters :beerbang:
McMullan

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks