Steeping adjuncts

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Steeping adjuncts

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Hello Braumeisters,

Has anyone steeped adjuncts, making more room for base malt in the malt pipe? I'm planning a stout that requires more than 6kg grain. I'm thinking of cold steeping crystal and black malts, which takes the mash bill below 5.5kg. Any thoughts?

:cheers:
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Re: Steeping adjuncts

Unread postby Erick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Loose some pils- or palemalt en replace that with maltextract at the end of the boil?
Erick

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Erick wrote:Loose some pils- or palemalt en replace that with maltextract at the end of the boil?

Hey Erick,

I've added invert sugar to bump gravity before, but I'm kind of looking at controlling exactly what goes in (which I bought at the weekend). Also, I don't use D/lME. Not even for starters, if I can help it. My thinking is why bother mashing dark grains when you could possibly mash more base malt instead? And especially if it means no risk of extracting unwanted harshness too, by using cold steeping. I'm hoping this idea, if it works, helps me to BM full fermenters of the dark beers I've planned. I'll give it a go and maybe compare it with a brew with mashed dark grains.

Cheers
McMullan

Unread postby Erick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Sounds like a good plan and you've obviously thought about it.
I think steeping dark grain should work.

(I would use DME but thats only 'cause i'm a lazy SOB) :cheers:
Erick

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 pm

I've cold steeped black grain before and it works, not done crystal yet, it's described as an advanced technique in my Advanced Brewing book to reduce tannin extraction which is where I got the idea to do it. Just add the cold steeped liquid in towards the end of the boil to ensure its sterilised.

I only did a small quantity for colouring a bitter, I'm not sure about the technique for large quantities.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 pm

McMullan wrote:Hello Braumeisters,

Has anyone steeped adjuncts, making more room for base malt in the malt pipe? I'm planning a stout that requires more than 6kg grain. I'm thinking of cold steeping crystal and black malts, which takes the mash bill below 5.5kg. Any thoughts?

Yes McMullan I have done it and it works well.

I steeped the roast and crystal malts in a porter by drawing off from the water volume a couple of litres in a separate jug and let it steep for the entire mash time, I then tipped the resulting liquor from the jug onto the top of the malt pipe and then sparged the balance of my water through the malt pipe as usual.
The beer came out a ripper with the dark grains giving a really smooth roast to the beer.
By doing this you can use the full 6 kg of base grain in the malt pipe and you also do not have to make salt adjustments to your water to compensate for the effect the dark grains have on the PH of the mash.
Give it a go mate, with your brewing software you will calculate the SG of the final wort.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm

i also have done this (hot steep, not cold steep), in a BIAB bag on the stovetop while the mash is going. no problem. i add it into the kettle as i'm ramping up to boil. personally i prefer to decrease the base malt by 5-10% and add DME and mash everything together if possible, but if you don't want to do that then why should you
dinnerstick

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:50 am

Thanks for the input chaps. I'm getting so excited about this one, I'm bringing it forward. I'll document and post, if it works for me.

:drink:
McMullan

Unread postby blommah » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:26 am

I have noticed that after mashing for a while it seems to be more room in the malt pipe.

I mashed for 45mins, then opened the malt pipe, added the dark grains and then continued the mash program.
blommah

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:27 am

Ahh I like these ideas!

dinnerstick wrote:i also have done this (hot steep, not cold steep), in a BIAB bag on the stovetop while the mash is going. no problem. i add it into the kettle as i'm ramping up to boil.

blommah wrote:I have noticed that after mashing for a while it seems to be more room in the malt pipe.
I mashed for 45mins, then opened the malt pipe, added the dark grains and then continued the mash program.

Like you could employ this during an extended -10 minute or so- mashout:
  1. pause the BM when it goes for mashout
  2. open the maltpipe, add the stuff you want to steep
  3. close maltpipe and continue

Though I wonder if 10 mins. @77C would extract enough colour...
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 pm

I brewed a Tim Taylor Bitter clone yesterday which has a simple grist of Pale Malt and Black Malt, so I tried the hot steep method by drawing 2 litres of hot liquor (66°C) into a conical flask on top of 50g of black malt and let it steep for approx 80 mins of the mash, I then added the liquid (sieved) back into the main mash for the remaining 30 mins, my resulting wort colour following boiling came out just where I want it:

Conical.JPG

Sieve.jpg

photo7.JPG
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Some great advice here, chaps. Glad other Braumeisters are steeping with success. I feel more confident about it. I brewed a Black Adder clone yesterday. The malt pipe was pretty much at capacity (2.9kg MO and 2.9kg HaIcyon). Used a little more time and effort to ensure it was well doughed in. Cold (room temp) steeped the black malt (282g) and crystal malt (171g) in 4.5L tap water (based on some loose advice of 1L/100g of grain. Looked and smelled wonderful after 24h. I was planning to sparge with it, but after measuring the pH (4.2) and considering there was 4.5L of it, I shied away from the idea. Instead, I reduced my normal sparge volume (7L) to 4L and, after sparging, added 1 tsp precipitated chalk and the strained steeped grain 'coffee'. The pH was then about 5.4. Drained off about 6L just before the boil and added it back gradually. I was hoping to get 22L wort at 1.055. I got 22L at 1.061. So about 24.5L after dilution. Keg and bottles! Looking forward to the first taste test in 2-3 weeks. For the next batch, I'll try cold steeping using 5X water volume to grain weight to see if I can squeeze in a 7L sparge.
McMullan

Unread postby Batz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:59 pm

This sounds like a great idea, I'm sure the roast malt would be of better flavour than mashing as well.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Batz wrote:This sounds like a great idea, I'm sure the roast malt would be of better flavour than mashing as well.

Here's hoping and this :drink: in a few weeks?
McMullan

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Batz wrote:This sounds like a great idea, I'm sure the roast malt would be of better flavour than mashing as well.

Hi Jeff,

it definately makes for a smoother flavour as it seems to cut down the harsh roast flavour from the dark grains being in the mash for extended times.

You wont be dissapointed.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks