Missing water volumes

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Missing water volumes

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:29 am

Victor Coelho wrote:
Nesto wrote:I lift, don't stir the grain and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I've become convinced by the BIAB folks to mash with the full volume of water - no sparge anymore for me :)

Interesting!
With your BM20, how much water do you start with and how much wort you take to fermenter doing no sparge, to brew a 1048 OG, 5 kg malt?

Well, I'll give you a recent set of actuals for a 1.049 SG wheat beer...
4.6kg malt
Mash in with 30.4 liters
Losses:
Grain absorption 3.4 liters
Evaporation 5.1 liters (90 minute boil)
Cooling shrinkage .9 liters
Loss to trub .7 liters
Fermenter loss 1 liter
Volumes:
Pre-boil volume 27.0 liters
Post-boil volume 21.9 liters
Into fermenter 20.3 liters
Into keg 19.3 liters

One note from the No Sparge thread, if you're above ~31 liters (haven't taken the time to measure / calculate this), you should fill the BM with the full amount of water to heat and treat it, then when you're ready to mash in, draw off a few liters. Around 31 or 32 liters, your malt pipe will either already be submerged, or quickly overflow once you start pouring the grain in. After you mash in, put the screens, hold down bar and wing nut on. Start the mashing program to check the flow. Then pour the water you just drew off back into the BM.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 am

Hi Nesto,

How do you get such a low trub loss?
Other thing, with No Sparge method, how good is your mash efficiency?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Wow Nesto!
These were the figures I needed, thanks a lot!
Victor Coelho

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Hi Nesto,

How do you get such a low trub loss?
Other thing, with No Sparge method, how good is your mash efficiency?

I actually have seen a slight increase in efficiency since starting no sparge. Did a dozen brews with sparging (usually 2.5 liters sparge) and averaged around 72% mash efficiency. Now averaging around 75% through 5 no sparge brews. If there is any more efficiency to be had, it'll be crush. I currently use the mill at my LHBS, at some point I will get my own mill and set it to the mythical 1.2 for the BM.

The low trub loss is from a couple things. First, I use a hop spider. That helps a lot. Second, I don't worry about letting trub get into my fermenter (check out this simple exBEERiment). I will tilt the BM until I've got most of the wort out. I have a conical fermenter, so I can drop the trub that does make it into my fermenter pretty easily before I rack to a keg.

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Nesto,

Nice brew info there! Kind a liked it :D
You know, I'm In :beerbang:
Next brew: No Sparge, gonna use Chad's hop filter (waiting the delivery) and no Trub worries!
Gonna ser how bohemian pilsner's taste looks like!

P.S.: Mash efficiency issue - from my calculations and Beersmith software, I'm getting 83% mash efficiency. Use a basic Corona Milt and grain conditioning
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27 am

Nesto wrote:I lift, don't stir the grain and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I've become convinced by the BIAB folks to mash with the full volume of water - no sparge anymore for me :)

Hi Nesto,
Decided gonna try a No Sparge Brew.
Few questions:
1. When you lift malt pipe, is there any space between the bottom of the malt pipe and top of the wort? Or do you need to remove the malt pipe to a draining bucket?
2. Mash efficiency? Better than before?
3. No need to further water adjustments after the mash?
Luis Coentrao

Missing water volumes

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:

Hi Nesto,
Decided gonna try a No Sparge Brew.
Few questions:
1. When you lift malt pipe, is there any space between the bottom of the malt pipe and top of the wort? Or do you need to remove the malt pipe to a draining bucket?
2. Mash efficiency? Better than before?
3. No need to further water adjustments after the mash?

1. So far, yes I've had just enough space to drain using 30.5 liters to start the mash, which means about 27 liters to start the boil. If I decide to increase my volume and don't have space anymore, I can use my hoist to lift and keep at a couple inches above where the supporting stirrup is. Or as you mention, you can remove and drain to a bucket.

2. Yup. 6 brews averaging 77% now vs 72% with sparge.

3. Do you mean volume or pH? The answer to both is no. I add Gypsum, Epson Salt and CaCl before mash in and figure my target pH using EZ Water Calculator. For volume, I've designed my recipes to hit 20.5 liters into my fermenter and hit that pretty close with no top up needed. If I miss starting gravity low, I will boil a little extra. If I miss high... I smile and don't worry about it.

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi all

Brewed over the weekend and still some "missing" volumes but am getting closer to finding the gaps :) .

Per beersmith (my settings):
Water used. 37.6 l
Grain absorption (3.55)
Boil off (6.00) based on previous test (see thread above)
Cooling shrinkage. (1.12)
Trub (2.00)
Fermenter loss. (1.00)
= bottle vol. 25.00

Actual to fermenter was only 21.5l

Still need to do some calculations from my notes but my sense is that the grain absorption is to low ( grain bill was 5.8kg) the boil off was more (despite my previous clear water boil off measurement - which I felt was less than what I experienced) and trub loss was more (unfortunately forgot to measure this as I filled with cleaning water). Guessing grain plus 1l, boil off plus 2.5l and trub plus 1?

So we learn (3 rd brew by the way a Dueseldorf Alt)
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks