does anyone know

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

does anyone know

Unread postby paulg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am

i have today brewed with my 50 litre BM
I mashed in on the 30 litres mark on the tie rod,took careful measurements at each stage .My loss to grain and preboil volumes and sparge additions were exactly as per my beersmith brewday sheet.I boiled as planned and my post boil loss was as near as can be expected as predicted (measured tie rod before and after boil, 5 cm difference which I think is nearly 7.5 litres).I drained 6 us gallons into my fermenter(I think this is 23 litres).
now heres the strange bit.I drained the leftovers into a bucket and weighed it ,it was 5 kilos so 5 litres no hops as they were in a hop sock.
my beersmith setting says it should have left 2 litres.
now after a long preamble my question.
does the tie rod markings start from the base of the tank or from the top of the 2 cm high spigot?.
If 5 litre markings are 3.5 cm apart 2 cm =3.4 litres ish.
I have always had this extra wort in my tank after a brew.This has been for 5 brews now at 23 and 25 litre brew length.
I hate losing 5 litres every time but unfortunately my fermenter is a brewtech brewbucket and holds 6 us gallons only so anymore is either waste or kept for yeast starter if i plan to brew again soon.
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: does anyone know

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Paul,

I have to say that I has a different idea regarding the tie rod markings on BM50, in comparison to your data.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that in both models (BM20 and BM50), each tie rod centimeter in height roughly equal 1 Liter.
Therefore, when you state that you've found a 5 centimeter difference between pre-boil and post-boil volume, the boil off would be 5L (not 7.5L).

I have a BM20 and I've made some tie rod measurements on it:
- Each centimeter roughly equals 1 liter (between the 15cm mark up to the top of the tie rod).
- Each mark (15, 20, 25L) has the height of 15, 20 and 25 cm, respectively (measured from the 2 cm high spigot)
- If the tie rod marks are measured from the bottom of the BM, the heights will be 2cm higher, off course (15L mark corresponds to 17cm, 20L mark to 22cm and so on)

I think it is easier to use bottom measurements during mash/sparge/boil rather than from the spigot (it is right in the middle of the BM and during mash/sparge the malt pipe is placed right through it)
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby paulg » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 pm

I have just measured the distance between the tie rod markings they are 3.1 cm apart so if each mark is 5 litres 1 cm =1.61 litres.
the distance from the top of the spigot to the top marking on the tie rod is 35 cm ,to the bottom of the tank is 37cm.
it looks like the volumes are from the top of the spigot (35 x 1.61=56.35) my measurement may be a small % out.certainly 37x1.61=59.57 litres.
this looks like why I am being left with 5 litres instead of 2 litres after filling my fermenter.
As I said I dont like leaving 5 litres in the tank even after I have tilted the machine ,I am getting one on chads hop filters (see other thread) and will try to make/get a pickup tube similar to the ones that were available in Australia ,are they still ?
I agree about measuring from the bottom not the spigot being easier
paulg

Unread postby flemming » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 pm

paulg wrote:I drained 6 us gallons into my fermenter(I think this is 23 litres).
now heres the strange bit.I drained the leftovers into a bucket and weighed it ,it was 5 kilos so 5 litres no hops as they were in a hop sock.
my beersmith setting says it should have left 2 litres.

One thing no one else seemed to mention yet is that you say 5kg = 5l and that's true if it's water, but this is wort. You need to account for the SG in your measurement. For example:

1.000 * 8.33 lbs/gallon * 1 gallon = 8.33 lbs
1.060 * 8.33 lbs/gallon * 1 gallon = 8.83 lbs

or

1.000 * 1 kg/l * 1l = 1 kg
1.060 * 1 kg/l * 1l = 1.060 kg

So in your case assuming a wort of 1.060.

5 kg / (1.060 * 1 kg/l) = 4.72 l

or

11.02 lbs / (1.060 * 8.33 lbs/gallon) = 1.25 gallons

It's not a huge difference, but if you're like me, you like to be precise :)

Robert
flemming

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:31 pm

flemming wrote:

It's not a huge difference, but if you're like me, you like to be precise :)

Robert

One like for you Robert!
Victor Coelho

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks