Need info on mashing volume.

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Need info on mashing volume.

Unread postby TheWoods » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi,

I new to brewing and also new with my BM50. I did 5 batch and all were OK with gravity reading and good tasting. What I read in different is the lack of ability to make high gravity beers with the BM. I am also using beersmith2 for my recipe. When I enter in beersmith :

batch of 35L
75 minute boil (I did a boil off test and I get 6L/hour)
15KG of grain (near the max of grain)
45L in the mash (which is 3L/KG suggested rate for AG)
14L sparge
tot eff at 78% (as it is with my last batch)

It gives me a estimate OG at 1.100. I never tried it but it seems a big beer. I already mash 45L with 15KG but I sparge with 29L because I shoot for a bigger batch. I didn't take a gravity reading before sparge

Is this make sense? I don't really understand that thing. Does Beersmith is not suit for the BM My profile equipment seems to be ok as I copied the profile of another brewer.

Any thought on that? need some light over this...

Thanks
TheWoods

Model: 50 litres

Re: Need info on mashing volume.

Unread postby niels » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:47 pm

I know that the efficiency can drop a lot if you try to fill up the malt pipe too much, so 78% might be a few point too optimistic.
What was the extract efficiency of your last batch with 15kg? What was the OG of that batch?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby TheWoods » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 pm

Unfortunately I had difficulty take measurement because I had a higher gravity preboil than OG somebody told me that the wort was not mixed enough. There is another question... When do you take your sample for preboil and OG? Somebody told me to take a per oil after 1 minute boil to make sure all is mixed.

I bought the bm50 because some people told me that I would be able to brew high gravity beer. What I read in this forum in the thread of the big beer people are brewing with the short malt pipe to make their big beer. But 15kg grain and 45L of water is it a good start on big beer?

Thanks
TheWoods

Unread postby leosardinha » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 pm

I did 9kg with 45L and no sparge + 2 hour boil.

Landed close to 1.075.
leosardinha

Return to General / Tips and Tricks