Water Volumes for Braumeister 20L

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Water Volumes for Braumeister 20L

Unread postby kstiglich » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 am

Hi,
In my first brew I used 15 liters of water and 11.7 lbs of malt.. It was amazing when I figure out that some water was absorbed by grains, and the pump start pulling water from the outer side of the pot and pumping it into the grains, but the water level in the outer side was falling until I saw the resistance heater without water!! I ran to bring some additional water and figure out that any further brew will have to start with more water.

I have been using all my recipes for recipes with 12 lbs aprox. and typically I start with 25 or 26 liters and adjust on the sparge water that will be between 2 or 3 liters...

I would like to know if there is a minimum quantity of water recommended for the initial phase (e.g. 20 liters?) and if there is any benefits of starting with a lower quantity and having more quantity for sparking, or it is the same if we use 26 liters of water and sparge only with 2 liters?

Thanks in advace
kstiglich

Model: 20 litres

Re: Water Volumes for Braumeister 20L

Unread postby Erick » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:31 pm

That's question nr. 8 in the FAQ at the braumeisters site:

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/freq ... ister.html

:cheers:
Gr. Erick
Alléz HOP!
Erick

Unread postby kstiglich » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi Erick,
But it says that mínimum quantity of wáter is 16 liters. I did a brew with 15 liters, and actually I needed at least 20 liters to cover all the heating elements...

For that reason I am asking you the mínimum quantity of wáter used when you mash with 5.3 or 5.8 kilograms of malt grains.

Regards,
Kenneth
kstiglich

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:29 pm

It depends a lot on how much grain you are using.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Beerkench » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Does it not mean minimum water 20l to get 16l of beer on the website? It's not very clear for sure.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby niels » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:49 pm

As I understand it the FAQ states a minimum of 16 litres of beer.

And if I remember correctly the manual states 23 litres of mash water, but I think you can go as low as 21 litres.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Jacques » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Hello,

The last two brews, I mashed with 20 Litres of water for 4.0 to 4.5kg of grains. The level of water/wort, outside the malt pipe, was just few centimeters above the resistance.
The only brew I did with 6.0kg of grains, I used 22.5 Litres of mash water.

Cheers,
Jacques.
Jacques

Unread postby kstiglich » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 am

Yes, In fact I was not asking for the total volume water needed to brew a batch.... I will follow beer smith indications in order to obtain a final 20 liters...

I was interested to know what would be the minimum quantity of water for the mash only if any typical recipe would be between 5kg to 5.5kg.
I believe that 20 liters should be the minimum to ensure that you are covering the heaters.... and according with your calculator, each one would estimate their quantity of water to sparge.
Another question was if according with Braumeister way to mash, it does have any benefit from sparging instead of starting with 26 liters from the beginning and sparging with 2 liters probably....or is it possible to start a mash with 28 liters? In that case, probably we will not have any need to sparge... or sparge brings us any benefit in Braumeister brewing?

Regards
Kenneth
kstiglich

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:10 am

Hi Kenneth,

I think it was discussed on here somewhere with reference to all the water being put into the BM and the brew process done as normal.
Apparently the wort level will be above the malt pipe but I think Speidel said that this didn't matter.
you would then need gloves to remove the hot malt pipe but that would be the only inconvenience apart from possibly a slightly less extraction efficiency.

If I were changing my operation I would do this rather than start of with too less of an amount of water as I would not like to damage my heating element if I could possible avoid it.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby kstiglich » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Dicko,
I agree with you that most important is protecting all heating elements....
By the way, do you think that less gravity is caused for not sparking, or mashing with few water would increase gravity, with a following sparge.
kstiglich

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 pm

kstiglich wrote:Hi Dicko,
I agree with you that most important is protecting all heating elements....
By the way, do you think that less gravity is caused for not sparking, or mashing with few water would increase gravity, with a following sparge.

I do believe that you may loose some gravity points by not sparging but I have never tried it so I cant be sure.
My personal opinion is that a sparge doesnt take much more time than just topping up the kettle and to do a full volume mash to me appears to be fairly inconvenient when it comes to removing the malt pipe whilst having your hands in 77 deg hot wort. :cry:

The sparge is carried out while the wort is coming to the boil so time isn't really a factor anyway.

So, to answer your question fully, I believe that mashing with 24 to 25 litres of water and sparging the rest of the volume is the best way toward the highest efficiency and gravity points.

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby kstiglich » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Excelent... it is what I do, so I will keep the same process..
I was trying to confirm it. Actually i filled my braumeister with 26 liters to thw upper line of measure, and sparge with 0.5 to 3liters depending on beersmith recommendation.
Regards
Kenneth
kstiglich

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 pm

I begin the mash with approximately 22.5 liters. When mash is completed, I sparge with an additional 2 or 3 liters. Then I add additional water to make sure I am at about 27 liters before beginning the boil. After evaporation due to the the 90 minute boil, I am back down to 22 or so liters (approximately 5.75 gallons) to be transferred to the fermentor.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby kstiglich » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Reviewing in deep;
I usually start at 26 liters (exactly on the mark), and my recipes use between 5 and 5.5kg.
My grain absorption are close to 3 liters, and I sparge between 1 or 2 liters, therefore I have 24 liters before start boiling.
At the end of boiling I should have 22 liters, and I transfer only 20 liters to my fermenter, leaving two liters of trub.
I use water plastic carboys of 21 liters, so fill them with 20 liters and left 1 liter of head space for krausen.

Obviously this is my typical process, but I adjust everything using beer smith.

Regards,
Kenneth
kstiglich

Return to General / Tips and Tricks