Wort Aerator

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Wort Aerator

Unread postby hughjampton » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 am

I wanted an easy way to aerate my wort and I saw some cheap wine aerators on eBay. They work by venturi action which draws air in through a small hole. The air is mixed with the liquid when the venturi expands. It's the same principle as a vehicle carburetor which mixes air with petrol. It's then further mixed by passing it through a perforated stainless steel plate.

The tapered end simply pushes into the silicon tube which I use to drain the wort into the fermentor. You can also remove the tapered rubber section if you need a smaller diameter fixing (see ebay ad below).

I bought one to try it out. It works perfectly and gives a good head of foam on the wort. I tried it with a 1 Liter starter of WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast in 5 gallons of wort. It started in 4 hours which shows that it was adequately aerated.

They are very cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Party-White-R ... 1c1eb494ba

When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Model: 50 litres

Re: Wort Aerator

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Great find there, a very simple gadget that would certainly help to aerate wort.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:50 am

I like the idea. Cheap and effective.

Can you share some info (or photos) of the setup? Do you simply add it to the end of your tube and let the wort flow into the fermentor using this aerator?

I once saw an "inline" aerator that uses the venturi effect.

Does someone have an O2 meter? It would be nice to know how much more oxygen is added to the wort compared to not using such device.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 am

the only problem with that sort of thing is that it's pulling 'dirty' air into your wort. in practice of course it's not a huge problem, but after going through all the steps to sanitize fermenters and hoses i try to minimize the amount of airborne dust and whatnot that contacts my wort. at least with an aquarium pump you can put a 'sterile' (< 0.5 micron) filter in line.
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:03 am

dinnerstick wrote:the only problem with that sort of thing is that it's pulling 'dirty' air into your wort. in practice of course it's not a huge problem, but after going through all the steps to sanitize fermenters and hoses i try to minimize the amount of airborne dust and whatnot that contacts my wort. at least with an aquarium pump you can put a 'sterile' (< 0.5 micron) filter in line.

Yes, but when you hang it in your fermentor you are not pulling other air in than you would when e.g. shaking it...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:41 am

yep. that's why it's O2 tank through stainless scintillator for me!
dinnerstick

Unread postby Ijerry » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 am

Dinnerstick , have you a picture
Ijerry

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 am

i am not home at the moment, but the scintillator 'stone' is something like this:
image_1910.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/carb ... icron.html
and the tank is a standard welding O2 tank.
dinnerstick

Unread postby royco » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:11 am

Neat idea Hugh. I thought of trying that but ended up making a Venturi aerator using a 80mm piece of old racking cane and drilling 20 x 0.8mm holes all around it. I plugged it into the tube from the auto-syphon at the base level of the fermentor or secondary and the rest of the syphon hose to the other end. It created a ridiculous amount of foam and aerated well, but now I have gone to pure O2 and sintered stainless steel "stone". Much easier and no threat of infection.
Had I continued with the Venturi I would have enclosed the contraption in a plastic tennis ball tube and filled it with cotton wool balls with some vodka added.
Cheers, Royco
royco

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:38 am

dinnerstick wrote:yep. that's why it's O2 tank through stainless scintillator for me!

+1 here.

Without pure O2, one can only get about 8 ppm of dissolved oxygen into the wort.

Wyeast guys recommend at least 10 ppm: https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

Return to General / Tips and Tricks