Sour Mash in BM

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Sour Mash in BM

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed May 13, 2015 9:41 pm

i just leave the grain in, but i have no idea if there should be any difference between that and what you did.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Beerkench » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Just an update…
Beer turned out great!
I kegged the Berliner and pulled my first sample after 4 days and to be honest I was disappointed. It was ok but I got some DMS, unwanted hop bitterness and was getting some pear like esters from the yeast. I was already thinking about trying it again and how I could improve it next time but as the weeks went on the beer just got better and better. The DMS went, the esters dropped off and the bitterness too leaving a lovely tart and clear Berliner Weisse. Unfortunately the keg kicked as it was at its best.
I think this style defintely benefits some lagering.

Cheers for the tips.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Dan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 pm

I've given this 2 attempts now.

First time 1.8kg each of pils malt and wheat malt with pure pitch of Wy5335 held at 40C for 3 days, pH reached 3.16. Short boil, then fermented with Wy1007 (read an article on a study which basically found 1007 to be most tolerant of low pH). FG 1008, 3.7%abv

Second brew was 1.5kg each pils/wheat, 5mL lactic acid (dropped pH to 4.65 to stop lacto degrading head forming proteins - as Dinnerstick mentioned), 200g uncrushed ale malt added in hop tea bags, set to 40C. pH 3.15 only 2 days later. Fermented with US-05 this time (so saved $$$ by not using 2x smack packs and only one dry sachet). FG 1010, 3.5%abv

Both tasted like warm apple juice while lacto went to work and sourness never really stood out until sacc. had done it's job - and then it STOOD OUT :D
The 2nd attempt was the better one for me, which is nice because it was cheaper and quicker :beerbang:
Also the head is much more dense, fluffy, and hangs around for ever - so dropping the pH initially with lactic acid seems to have done the trick!

The biggest problem with this brew is that my girlfriend loves it so much it disappears too quick :drink:
Dan

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:50 pm

it all sounds good! i'm thinking of making one with elderflowers next, while they are still just about in season...
dinnerstick

Unread postby brugen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Swiggingpig/Dinnerstick,

Gentlemen, when you use the Funkin Raspberry Puree do you use it in the same weight as you would fresh fruit. i.e. if a recipe asked for 1kg of raspberries would you add 1 kg of the puree?

Thanks

brugen
brugen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:39 pm

i've never used fresh raspberries, but i would think you'd use the same weight. perhaps a tiny bit more as there's sugar added
dinnerstick

Unread postby brugen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks, Dinnerstick

I'll go for a one for one replacement and see how it goes.

Cheers

brugen
brugen

Model: 50 litres

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks