Protein rest at 60°C

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Protein rest at 60°C

Unread postby molares » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Dear Niel
about mash profile I have a question
if i do Festbier profile mash and I have to start from 60° like in speidel recipe i take about 15-20 minutes to insert barley in 200litres ...is it possible that it seems like a long step for protein rest?
Why speidel start mashing from 60°?
Sorry for my english
regards
paolo
molares

Model: 200 litres

Re: Protein rest at 60°C

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm

What I do is I set my dough in temp at 38 and then add the grain.
I set the mash schedule as required.
For example if I wanted to mash at 60 for 40 mins then 70 for 20 min then to mash out at 77 I would enter these parameters and just press start.
The BM will just increase temp with the pump running and the normal pump breaks until it gets to 60 and then it will start its mash program from there.
If you need a protein rest then just enter it and the BM will include it in your mash program.
If you are having a protein rest then you can't start or dough in at 60 degrees.
I hope I have correctly understood your enquiry.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 pm

The protein rest is in the range 45°C to 55°C.

If you are mashing in at 60°C then you will not be in protein rest range but in beta amylase temp range from 55°C to 65°C, and so the festival beer mash-in schedule is in the middle of the beta amylase range and not in the protein rest range at all and this makes perfect sense :)
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby kstiglich » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 am

molares wrote:Dear Niel
about mash profile I have a question
if i do Festbier profile mash and I have to start from 60° like in speidel recipe i take about 15-20 minutes to insert barley in 200litres ...is it possible that it seems like a long step for protein rest?
Why speidel start mashing from 60°?
Sorry for my english
regards
paolo

Paolo,
I think that your problem is that Braumeister will work on incremental temperatures. It means, when you program the machine, first of all you will have to set the mash temperature, that is the temperature that Braumeister will heat the water and will beep you to insert the malt pipe and the malt...it is the mashing temp. Any next step must be higher temperature than the mashing temp, and each step must be higher than the previous one.
If you mash at 60º, all next steps must be higher than 60º and you cannot do any protein rest below that temp.
If you want to do a protein rest at 52º for example, you can mash at 50º and do the next step a protein rest at 52º.
It make sense because enzymes start working on each temperature steps, and each time you pass to a next step, you deactivate the previous enzymes and activate a new one...It always must be handle from lower temps to higher temps...

Hope this help
kstiglich

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks