Water to grain ratio

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Water to grain ratio

Unread postby Spinoff » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:04 pm

I've tried for some time now to make an Imperial IPA, i.e. high on alcohol and dry. The last batch I made I started out with 45 ltrs and a grain bill of 15 kgs Maris Otter. I mashed in at 38 C and mashed for 120 mins at 65 C, boiled for 75 mins and sparged with ten liters. Water Burtonized. The resulting OG was only SG1065. I had expected significantly more. What I suspect is that even though the water to grain ratio is low,it might be to high for the Speidel. The grain gets really packed, and that probably prevents good mashing. Should I reduce the grain bill? Increase mash time? Simply accept a very low yield if I want a wort in the 1080's and above? Any insight dearly welcomed!
Spinoff

Model: 50 litres

Re: Water to grain ratio

Unread postby paulg » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:17 pm

@spinoff
read the post further down in this forum titled double mashing.I believe this is how people achieve high gravity wort.Also I have read when the malt pipe is full it is good to pause the mash and stir the grain a few times during the mash sequence.
paulg

Unread postby Spinoff » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Thank you @paulg

I'll do that. And the stirring is a very good idea.
Spinoff

Unread postby niels » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 pm

You should bring down the water volume, double mash and/or extend the boil.

Adding DME and sugar are a possibility too.

I did overfill the malt pipe on my latest brew and was 10 point under my expected gravity before the boil. I did cancel the mash, stirred the malt and restarted the (one step) mash. After two hours of 67°C O got at my expected gravity.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 pm

+1
Have a Wit 3 weeks in primary. OG 1051 after similar treatment to Niels. Added some sugar as well. Used 4 packs of rehydrated WB06 and left alone. FG today is 1005, lower than expected, so sugar was not necessary.
Anyway it will be a fairly strong 6% Wit, not good for pre-lawnmowing consumption! Trying a 0° chill overnight in primary (I usually do this in secondary) and will keg directly tomorrow.
Royco
royco

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Roy

Post the recipe / mash steps (or email me the details). Would like to try it some time.

Ps. My wait is nearly over - hopefully will collect the BM by end of the week.

Dirk
Fritzkellerbrau

Return to General / Tips and Tricks