results of over filling malt pipe

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

results of over filling malt pipe

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:18 pm

I have posted elsewhere that on my maiden 2 brews with a short malt pipe I have seen signs of wort escaping from under the malt pipe and have had to really screw the wing nut down which has reduced but not stopped it.
I have found a small dent? in the floor of the pot where the rear foot is,but I am not sure if it is as far as the malt pipe seal. b On filling the malt pipe with water and plugging the pump pipes it has not leaked any water to the outside of the malt pipe in 2 hours.I will leave it over night
I am now wondering if I had just over filled the malt pipe with grain
my 2 recipes were both mashed in with 30 litres and 6.43kg of grain for one and 5.8 kg for the other.
what is the maximum for the 25 litre short malt pipe I have seen different amount for the 20 litre BM but nothing for the 25 litre pipe,
and what are the results of over filling eg no flow at all, or escaping wort or?
Last edited by paulg on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: results of over filling malt pipe

Unread postby leosardinha » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:39 pm

I had a 6kg grain bill with none of this issues.

The only issue I had is that I tightened too much the bow and some grain dust escaped through the filter plates.
leosardinha

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:14 pm

thanks ,
I guess then that the problem becomes worse when there is back pressure from the grain, as still there is no seepage with just the malt pipe filled with water and the pump pipes sealed off.
I have had a reply from my supplier saying they need to speak to speidel for me as it is too long after delivery for them to do anything. (
paulg

Unread postby flemming » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 am

The most I've squeezed into the small malt pipe on my 50L is 6.3kg, so I don't think overfilling is the issue here.

Robert
flemming

Unread postby paulg » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 am

flemming thanks
my first brew was 6.4kilos and the second was 5.8 kilos.
I had no leaking during 24 hours of my test with only the malt pipe filled with water.I hope to brew again this week with a less large grain bill and will see what happens,I am still waiting contact from supplier/speidel.
paulg

Unread postby luk-cha » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 am

ive had 6.5kg in my 20l without issues i gave it a good mix in first and mashed for a little longer than normal at lower temps to let the water absorb in the grains better, but most of the time i use 6kg anyway
luk-cha

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks