Priming Sugar before bottling

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.
Cristian
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Priming Sugar before bottling

Unread post by Cristian »

English Ale has a low carbonation profile but in the and it's important what you prefer :drink:

Onthebrew
Model: 20 litres

Unread post by Onthebrew »

2 would be perfect for american pales ales etc in a 500 ml bottle but I always find bottles of Timothy Taylor and spitfire etc seemed to be well carbed too, compared to draught. Good idea to split them though.

lynch140

Unread post by lynch140 »

I am guessing it is better to under Carbonate than over carbonate.

I had a friend who went to a brewery to create beers for a wedding, where they designed the beer etc and whatever the brewery the finished product came out so fizzy it was close to undrinkable

lynch140

Unfortunately, my beer never carbonated! I experimented putting 1 cube in some bottles and 2 in other and neither carbonated any bit. This was after nearly 4 weeks of bottling. They had been sitting in my keller at around 19c and i brought two bottles up to my apartment to condition at around 23c and still no activity

The only conclusion was that there was no yeast in the bottles to carbonate with! I did not filter when filling the bottles, the only thing I can think of was that i didnt leave the non rinse saintizer to dry before filling the bottles which may have therefore killed off the yeast

frustrating but have two more beer currently fermenting which will be carbonated via kegs or with priming sugar

Onthebrew

Unread post by Onthebrew »

Give them time. Sometimes it took a month to carbonate as I recall.

Turn them UPSIDE down for a few days. That helps.
Last edited by Onthebrew on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cristian
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread post by Cristian »

After bottling, keep the bottles for 2 weeks at room temperature (21-24C), then you can bring them to the keller to chill and serve.
Do you have any layer on the bottom? Did the bottle "fsss" when opened?

Bring the bottles to higher temp for another week or two. the yeast should wake up :)

" i didnt leave the non rinse saintizer to dry before filling the bottles which may have therefore killed " - for sure not the case. you dont need to wait the bottles to dry.

lynch140

Thats the things they were pretty clean at the bottom, there was zero sediment, which indicated to me that there was no yeast in any bottles

I used flip top caps on the bottles and there was the pop when opened with a little smoke but then flat as a pancake beer

Luxo_Aussie

Unread post by Luxo_Aussie »

Back to the OP's original post, does anyone else bulk prime to carbonate their bottles?

I've been using the brewers friend calculator : https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator to adjust the amount of Dextrose to match the carbonation of the style. I'm usually adding the sugar to a boiling saucepan with 200-300ml of water and transferring the finished brew into bottling bucket with the priming slurry already added.

Anyone else goes this way for priming?

Vladimir

Unread post by Vladimir »

I don't do much bottling nowadays, but when I do, I boil the sugar in a bit of water and add it to the bottles with a syringe. That way I'm sure that the sugar is both sanitized and distributed equally in the bottles. Reason to do it that way is to make sure that people that get beer from me won't end up with bottle bombs or a flat beer.

That said, I have tried many different approaches without any noticeable difference. Chucking the sugar solution in the bottling bucket before or after beer, or chucking it directly in primary and stirring carefully just works fine. I've done many batches adding non-boiled sugar directly in the bottles as well. Won't make a difference either way.

Do what's most convenient for you. RDWHAHB :drink:

mashy

Unread post by mashy »

Vladimir

I have to buy one as well. No doubt it works brilliantly :beer:
lynch140 wrote:Unfortunately, my beer never carbonated! I experimented putting 1 cube in some bottles and 2 in other and neither carbonated any bit. This was after nearly 4 weeks of bottling.

Seems like you've just had a bit of bad luck. When bottling, my beers are usually carbonated after 1 week. Two weeks and the beer is always ready.
The only thing that comes to mind are lagers after long periods of cold conditioning and beers fermented with some kveik strains. Those can (according to some sources) have problems with re-fermentation in the bottle and it is advised to add extra yeast at bottling. But off course, you did an english ale, so this is not much relevant to you :D :beer:

mashy

Unread post by mashy »

Two key points for me are.
Shake the bottle and invert it. A) this checks the seal. B) might jolly the yeast along a bit.

Secondly remove the bottles to somewhere warm.

I bottle, at least some into clear glass so that I can see the yeast settling down. Normally 2 weeks.

Vladimir

mashy, have you measured the amount of sugar you get from the zevro dispenser? F. ex.: how much is 1 tsp from dispenser in grams?

mashy

Unread post by mashy »

Depends on the granule size.
Comes with inserts for different volumes.
I use the 1/2 tsp insert and caster sugar.
Very accurate. Easy to calibrate - use chewing gum or blue tack to adjust.