Time to raise the mash temperature

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Time to raise the mash temperature

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:07 pm

Mash Shedule question

Hei guys,
Let me ask you a question,
How long can it take to raise the temperature interval of 10C in the BM20L? P.Ex. 40 to 50, 50 to 60....
1C in 1 minute? Or less?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Time to raise the mash temperature

Unread postby HLA91 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I believe its roughly 1C per min, but it all depends on whether or not you have an insulating jacket, and also on ambient temp is where you are brewing.
HLA91

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:32 pm

yeah, most people use 1deg/min as a good estimate
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Remember when you have programmed the mash schedule and not doing it in manual then you will need to allow the time for a pump break every ten minutes as well.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby wilkensone » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:43 am

Dicko wrote:Remember when you have programmed the mash schedule and not doing it in manual then you will need to allow the time for a pump break every ten minutes as well.

Dicko do the elements turn off during the pump break?
wilkensone

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 am

wilkensone wrote:
Dicko wrote:Remember when you have programmed the mash schedule and not doing it in manual then you will need to allow the time for a pump break every ten minutes as well.

Dicko do the elements turn off during the pump break?

I dont really know that answer but the temp does not drop so I assume it remains in heat/stand by mode during the pump break the same as it does while holding the mash step temperature.
Next brew I will watch it more closely and see what really does happen during the pump break.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby fy0d0r » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 am

I can confirm 1C/min on 50L with a "tourist" jacket and ambient temp of 20-25C.
I was able to hit the time +-15mins for overnight mashing (8h+)
fy0d0r

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks a lot mates :D

When homebrewers talk about a 90 minutes "mash time", they are including or excluding the "Temperature rise time" between the rests (dough in, maltose rest, sacharification....) ?
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi Luis!
Mash time is only the conversion time, not considering the temp rise time.
Take care!
Victor Coelho

Unread postby niels » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:When homebrewers talk about a 90 minutes "mash time", they are including or excluding the "Temperature rise time" between the rests (dough in, maltose rest, sacharification....) ?

If you only get one timespan it is probably a single step mash schedule. So you must hold it for that timespan on the given temperature. Multi step mash schedules will always specify the rest time at the given temperature steps. Time to raise from one step to another is omitted in recipes.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for the posts!

That was my idea too. Rise times are not include in recipes. However, during "Temp rise time" mashing is occurring since overall enzyme activity doesn't stop between the rests.

In Beersmith software we must input the "Temp rise time". We must consider an interval of 1C/1min, right? As an example, between dough in (40C) and maltose rest (60C) the "Temp rise time" should be 20 minutes?

Therefore, when we perform a multi-step mash with a Braumeister, considering a "Temp rise time" of approximately 1C/1min, a classic 90 minute mashing schedule would be approximately 120-150 minutes.
Luis Coentrao

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:19 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:Thanks for the posts!

That was my idea too. Rise times are not include in recipes. However, during "Temp rise time" mashing is occurring since overall enzyme activity doesn't stop between the rests.

In Beersmith software we must input the "Temp rise time". We must consider an interval of 1C/1min, right? As an example, between dough in (40C) and maltose rest (60C) the "Temp rise time" should be 20 minutes?

Therefore, when we perform a multi-step mash with a Braumeister, considering a "Temp rise time" of approximately 1C/1min, a classic 90 minute mashing schedule would be approximately 120-150 minutes.

In Beersmith we do have the ability to enter the time frame of the steps, however I have noted that this entry does not seem to change anything else with brew calculations.
I have entered a one minute interval in the rise time area with no adverse effect on the software result that I can detect.
Has anyone else noticed any difference?
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:31 am

Dicko wrote:In Beersmith we do have the ability to enter the time frame of the steps, however I have noted that this entry does not seem to change anything else with brew calculations.
I have entered a one minute interval in the rise time area with no adverse effect on the software result that I can detect.
Has anyone else noticed any difference?

Dicko,

I do the same, but as far as I can tell it makes no difference to anything other than the timer.

I can only assume that it's only the hold time that affects the calculations and time taken to raise the temperature is discounted.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Return to General / Tips and Tricks