recommended method for pellet hops

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

recommended method for pellet hops

Unread postby paulg » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:54 pm

What is the best method for using pellet hops.I have both the braumiester filter and a hop spider that goes around the centre rod.Up to now I have used mainly leaf hops and the original filter,but I am using mainly pellets now and feel that the spider doesnt allow sufficient room to agitate the hop pellets.
If I just throw them in loose will the pump block if I run it whilst cooling? How much gets transferred into the fermenter ?
what do you do?

thanks
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: recommended method for pellet hops

Unread postby chastuck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:37 pm

I use pellet hops in my BM and a BacBrewing springer. You can just throw the pellets in and all the remains are kept back in the BM when you drain it. I use a pump to drain mine and push the wort through a CFC and then into the fermenter. I have fitted a bottom drain valve to my BM via an equal T on the pump base. It means I can just hose the pellet matter out when the BM is fully drained. It's much easier and quicker to clean it this way and no hop flowers to scoop out.
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:20 am

I have a mangrove Jack hop spider - a few will get past that.

They are a pain in the arse and I do prefer leaf.

That said, do a good whirlpool, let them settle, and you should be able to rack them off okay.

The few that are left will not block the pump.

A little bit extra in your fermenter will settle out perfectly - if anything, they add a bit more food for the yeast - possibly a bit more flavour, but nothing detrimental.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby paulg » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:16 am

mashy just to get this straight,do you mean cool with pump running and then whirlpool and wait (how long) before running off .or cool with out the pump running.I find my immersion cooler works quicker with the pump running as I believe it stops stratification
re the mangrove jack spider it look much more open mesh than my one so could allow more wort to flow through it
paulg

Unread postby mashy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:53 am

Yup, I always cool with pump running. Whirlpool and wait for it it settle (go still)

The mangrove jack spider is 800 micron most other are 300 - so you will get better containment.
mashy

Unread postby Brewedout » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:23 am

I use pellets loose in my BM20, I use a coil to chill, once down to temperature give a good stir to whirlpool and then leave it a good 30 to 40 mins. Crystal clear wort remains see below... Image

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Brewedout

Unread postby paulg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am

brewedout
do you run the pump when chilling? As stated earlier my concern is with blocking the pump during chilling but as it is a magnetic coupled pump I guess no harm would be done anyway.
paulg

Unread postby Brewedout » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:21 am

paulg wrote:brewedout
do you run the pump when chilling? As stated earlier my concern is with blocking the pump during chilling but as it is a magnetic coupled pump I guess no harm would be done anyway.
I don't bother I just stir with my cooling coils every 5 mins or so. I was concerned about blocking the pump.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Brewedout

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:39 pm

In most cases it won't block.
During the early chilling phase, really hot wort has a lower viscosity which helps.

In very rare cases (happened to me once in 80 batches*) it can block if you use ridiculous amount of hops, have added coagulants (Whirlfloc, Irish Moss etc) and the grain type in your recipe (usually unmalted). The cooled wort will become more viscous, which would reduce your flow rate and ultimately block it completely.

*Tallied it up just now for statistical purposes. Good to know the BM is still going strong after all these years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:19 am

aziztan wrote:

*Tallied it up just now for statistical purposes. Good to know the BM is still going strong after all these years.

Got mine in 2012. Still going strong. Have you added up the cost saving too - I bet it has more than paid for itself?
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am

Haven't added it up, but that's what I keep telling me missus and I'd hate to think it didn't, especially not while more brewing gear keeps coming in the post!

aziztan

Unread postby djl3thal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 am

I find pellet hops help bind and form the post-whirlpool cone for clear wort drain off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djl3thal

Unread postby mashy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 am

This is a worth a test. I have trouble with pellets.

I guess you are putting you pellets in loose?
mashy

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:20 pm

I have always chucked in my hop pellets loose. Whirlpool before cooling coil and let stand for about 30 minutes, always have clear wort. About 1.5 to 2.0 l trub.(50l BM)
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby djl3thal » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:50 am

Yep, loose is the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djl3thal

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks