Mashing Clarifications

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Mashing Clarifications

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:32 pm

G'day All,

I've recently started brewing with a Braumeister 20L+ and loving everything about it after only doing partial mash brews before. The mash was the one missing element in my skills and I've read through a lot of forums and articles concerning the merits of certain steps but wanted to clarify a few things before moving forward.

1) While I can understand that one size certainly doesn't fit all I'd like to know if there's any potential harm in doing 15-20 minute rest at 42 (acid) and 52 degrees (protein) for all styles of beer. I'm not concerned with the mash taking an extra hour or so but keen to know if there's any potential problems which could arise with adding these steps to each mash?

2) Another point of contention is the importance of step mashing against a single step - would it be better to do 25 @ 62 / 25 @ 67 / 25 @ 72 for a medium body mash or simply hold at 67-68 for an hour?

3) I've heard the maximum amount of grain for the 20L is 6KG, is that correct or can you do more?

4) I'm using Beersmith to track my records and have the BH Efficiency set to 70% when creating recipes - Is this typical or should I state a different figure for typically sized beers (4.5-5.5%)

Thanks in advance & Cheers,
Luxo_Aussie

Model: 20 litres

Re: Mashing Clarifications

Unread postby mashy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 am

Steps for me really depend on the grain you are using. Some grains will require steps because they are not so easily converted. Modern grains are referred to as modified and will generally be okay with a single step. I have recently dropped 74° C I couldn't see the point. If it was going straight through to boil! Made no difference to the beer. In the BM20 I normally allow 1 minute per 1° C temperature lift. So 66° C to boiling is more or less 34 minutes. Which of course covers the 74°C 20 minute stand. Hope that makes sense

6KG is the absolute limit IMO. With a little bit of silicon seal around the circumference, you can turn the top plate over and fit it in the top of malt pipe. I try not to exceed 5.5 and to be honest if you want to go more than that. Consider either sugar or double mashing.

Silicon seal around the top plate is something you ought to consider away. IMO it is a 'must have' modification. No fountains. No grains escaping.

There are a lot of guys here who use Beersmith, Who can advise on the best profile.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 am

My advice is to buy Graham Wheelers book BREW CLASSIC EUROPEAN BEERS AT HOME. Not only does it contain brilliant recipes it advises on mash schedules for each one.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:43 am

yup - all of Graham Wheelers books are superb.
mashy

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback - I'll keep reading and testing to see what works. My grain is generally Belgian with a bit of German for smaller additions.

I had a bit of an issue with my 4th brew over the weekend - I set my mash and then went for a walk which ended up being 45 mins longer than anticipated meaning my mash was stuck at 78 for an extra 30 mins longer than planned. While I think it tastes OK, I'm wondering if there's some burnt flavors coming through - could this have been caused from leaving the mash too long at 78? Or am I just being paranoid...? :?
Luxo_Aussie

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 pm

You're being paranoid :p.

Even with a massive sticky Belgian Quad on a 80 min boil there's no sign of burning. The heating element only needs a soft cloth to wipe clean that's how good they are.

Was the 78c set at manual mode? A programmed 78c would involve wort circulation, making it even less likely to burn.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 pm

It was programmed at 78 so it was circulating. Sure it will all be fine. Thanks!
Luxo_Aussie

Return to General / Tips and Tricks