Kettle souring

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Kettle souring

Unread postby craigbayne » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Hey,

Has anyone had a go at kettle souring in their BM? I'm thinking about having a go at a Berliner Weisse a few brews from new.

I'd mash my grain as normal, take the malt pipe out, drop the pH with some lactic acid, then introduce some lactobacillus, and hold the temperature at about 45°C for about 24 hours or maybe a bit longer.

Can the BM hold a temperature for that long? And has anyone had a go at making a sour in the BM? Guess I'd probably have to make sure everything's cleaned and sterilised pretty well afterwards
craigbayne

Re: Kettle souring

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Yes, it works great. You've got the basics down already. You can wrap the whole thing in blankets to insulate even better. 24 hours is a long time, with L. brevis or L. plantarum you should get to your desired pH faster than that. With either of those strains you can go a lot lower than 45. I like plantarum (the lallemand dry pitch is really fast, clean, convenient) between 35 and 40 degrees, around 16 hours gets it where I want it (pre-soured with LA to under 4.5). Presumably you will boil straight after, so no need to worry about sanitizing anything. Hot (65+) PBW afterwards with the pump running is all the cleaning it needs. Remember there's lactobacillus all over your malt, and you fill the BM all the time with that stuff, (presumably) without panic! OK, grated you're not normally allowing it to go crazy and form a pellicle, but the BM does come clean after kettle souring.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 pm

You absolutely can do that on the BM.

Set desired temp on manual. I left mine for 3 days (to suite my schedule).

After inoculation with your Lacto, place a sanitise piece of cling flim over the wort to minimise oxygen (you can read up on why from milkthefunk.

The rest is as per usual, nothing extra as per dinnersticks.

The same technique can be used for Sous Vide as well, but that's for another topic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:23 am

Another yes.

The only thing I would say.. see if you can buy and try what you are making many bottles of.
The finished beer quite took me by surprise.
mashy

Unread postby craigbayne » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:31 am

Great, thanks for that. I haven't actually used the BM on manual mode before, so it's good to know I can set it in there.

I had a really good Berliner Weisse recently - from Beavertown Brewery in London. Really enjoyed it. Thought I'd have a go at doing something similar
craigbayne

Unread postby aziztan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 am

Once you have that process down pat, you'll open a whole world of possibilities with fruit additions - where the fun begins. The sour/tartness of Berliner Weisse is the perfect based for that, more so than Wheat Beers IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby craigbayne » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 am

Yeah, that's the plan. I was thinking I'd do a batch of the beer just now, hold it in a keg until summer so it's got a bit of time to age, then add some fruit once the raspberries are cropping again.

Was half thinking about making a raspberry syrup to add, pasteurising the batch to hold the sweetness, then force carbing it in a keg before bottling.

Sounds a bit involved, but would be a fun process
craigbayne

Unread postby mashy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:47 am

You might find one you add the fruit it will carbonate itself. Particularly if you add a syrup.
mashy

Return to General / Tips and Tricks