Monitoring fermentation

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Monitoring fermentation

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:19 am

Obviously there lots of devices out there such as tilt etc but i was thinking is there any reason you cant just take a sample, early on and use that? would the fermentation be the same?

only reason i ask is that i forget to take an OG reading on Sunday so took the sample from the FV a few hours later and left it on the side. yesterday the sample was fermenting away with krausen and everything. i am guessing there may be issues with differing yeast concentration being such a small sample but it will be interesting to watch.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Monitoring fermentation

Unread postby mashy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 am

IF it started properly, taking a reading now is pointless.

There is no reason why you can't - but what question are you trying to answer.?
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 am

i got my reading ok. I was wondering if the sample will ferment the same as the main batch itself ? if so it would let you know how fermentation is going without having to take any more samples or use a tilt etc.
Onthebrew

Unread postby Erick » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:20 pm

I don't see that working, unless all circumstances are the same: Temperature, Yeast concentration, amount of oxygen (and I think I'm forgetting a few)
Erick

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 pm

i agree, i think the yeast concentration will be the main issue as everything else could be similar. it will be interested to see though.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Sorry I completely missed the point. This isn't about retrospective testing, what you meant was. Could you take a small sample and monitor that instead of monitoring the FV. Sorry, Misread, the OP

Much shorter answer..

NO.

PS. If you have an old phone, Why not set it up as a web cam. very very easy and you can check it as many times as you like on your new phone.
mashy

Unread postby f00b4r » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:19 pm

It depends what you are trying to achieve but if it's determining final gravity: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/forced-ferment-test
f00b4r

Unread postby IPA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:12 am

Onthebrew wrote:i got my reading ok. I was wondering if the sample will ferment the same as the main batch itself ? if so it would let you know how fermentation is going without having to take any more samples or use a tilt etc.

The answer is yes. I do it with every brew. Mainly because I save my yeast samples in wort taken from the main brew 36 hours after the krausen has formed and continue the sample ferment until it is beer with a good crop of clean yeast on the bottom of the bottle. The added benefit is that you can see how fermentation is proceeding. I can't remember if I have posted this yeast saving method on here or not but it works. With yeast remaining viable for at least four years. If anyone shows interest I will post it with pictures
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:00 pm

I get it for yeast saving, but surely it is not reliable for monitoring the brew? Is it?
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 pm

mashy wrote:I get it for yeast saving, but surely it is not reliable for monitoring the brew? Is it?

It's useful for judging when it's time to transfer to secondary.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mrhyde » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:36 am

I am using the iSpindle for monitoring. You need to assemble it by yourself.

Data is being transferred to my own NAS via TCP and stored in a database. Data can be displayed via browser and I have written a moving average select to display the gravity (plato). Depending on the inittial gravity/recipe/yeast it is not exact but pretty good. The most important thing is that you can see when the fermentation activity drops/stops without opening the fermenter. The slope of the red curve is approaching 0.

You basically need to measure prior to fermentation and afterwards to get your more precise readings.

Moving_Average_new.PNG
mrhyde

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:44 am

IPA wrote:
mashy wrote:I get it for yeast saving, but surely it is not reliable for monitoring the brew? Is it?

It's useful for judging when it's time to transfer to secondary.

Is that not the hydrometers job?
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:23 pm

It saves taking samples from FV. Mine ( sundays brew) is now reading 1016
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm

I lob it in and leave it there.
mashy