Bubbler, air lock.

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Bubbler, air lock.

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:58 pm

I know this is basic stuff but I am new to using the bubbler thingies in the fermenter. I have always used the 30 litre speidal fvs and never had Krausen or whatever forcing itself out of the fv.

Recently bought a brew bucket with a bubbler and I just went to dry hop latest brew and noticed wort in the bubbler and dried wort all over the top of the lid.

First time I checked on it for at least a week and it’s been in brew fridge at 19c for 12 days in total so far.

Am I at Risk of an infection?

It was only one pack of wyeast American ale on a red ale so not sure why it kicked off so much?

I just chucked the hops in and hoped for the best. Should I remove lid and sanitise or is it two late?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Bubbler, air lock.

Unread postby Everhopfull » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:03 am

There isn't a lot of head space in those brew buckets. I purchased the domed lid for mine which helped a bit.I have had a few overflows over the years and the brew has never suffered, I'm sure you will be fine. Just clean the external mess off.
Had you ever considered fitting a 1/2 inch hose barb to the lid and attach silicone tubing placed in a container of sanatiser?
Everhopfull

Unread postby mashy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:46 am

Leave it alone. It will be fine.

Enough head space is the issue. I like 25%.
Might be worth adjusting your volumes.
I have given up on airlocks, years ago.

Everhopfull is right, if this continues and you do nothing about volume you should consider fitting a blowout tube.

But I will say it again. Leave this brew alone. Don't worry. 8)

Edit: now available in English. Lol
Last edited by mashy on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:19 am

cheers lads. reassured now.

i gave the lid and bubbler a clean and sanitise and put it back but have done nothing more than that.

These brewbuckets are smaller, so maybe need a blow of tube then. After a bit of googling it seems like i just need to stick some tubing in where the bubber went and put the other end in a jar of sanitiser.. is is that simple? does this actually stop a blow off happening or just collect the crap?

it was only a 1043 wort with american ale yeast so i am also thinking i may have pitched too warm. the temp probe saying 24C when it went in brew fridge ( BM said 20) but as it got down to 19 within 4 hours or so thought no harm done.
Onthebrew

Unread postby Cristian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:46 am

I had some problems with standard bubbler using Imperial yeast (Juicy). The sanitizer was jumping out of the airlock as this yeast is quite violent. Then I switched to the orange 2 pieces airlock from spidel. It looks like the spidel airlock can handle heavy fermentations without problems. :cheers:
Cristian

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 am

Cristian wrote:I had some problems with standard bubbler using Imperial yeast (Juicy). The sanitizer was jumping out of the airlock as this yeast is quite violent. Then I switched to the orange 2 pieces airlock from spidel. It looks like the spidel airlock can handle heavy fermentations without problems. :cheers:

yes never had an issue with those spiedal airlocks but it may also be to do to the 30 litre capacity.

how are you finding imperial yeast? i have "cablecar " i was given but havn't used it yet as its for a Calinfornia commen- not a style i am a fan off.
Onthebrew

Unread postby Cristian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 am

you can find Imperial yeast @themaltmiller.
btw, A38 Juice in a NEIPA is great.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/ingredients/yeast/imperial-yeast/
Cristian

Unread postby brugen » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Cristian wrote:you can find Imperial yeast @themaltmiller.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product-category/ingredients/yeast/imperial-yeast/

Can you share your NEIPA recipe? I've never quite got round to making one and I suppose I should.

Thanks
brugen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cristian » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:00 pm

brugen wrote:

Can you share your NEIPA recipe? I've never quite got round to making one and I suppose I should.

Thanks

3 kg pilsner
1 kg pale ale
600g wheat malt
500 flaked oats
500 flaked wheat
150g carapils

30g of each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson at 10min in the boil
50g of each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson w/30min @75C

Hryhop1 (after 2 days of active fermentation)= 25g each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson 3 days
Hryhop2 (end of fermentation)= 25g each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson 3 days (and remove dryhop1)
Hryhop3 (3 days fermentation ends)= 25g each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson 3 days (and remove dryhop2)

26L for Mash + 4L sparge
2.5g Yeast nutrient
1x Imperial Yeast - A38 Juice

Lower the temp for coldcrash under CO2. If you don’t have this option better don’t coldcrash but close transfer to keg. if you bottle drink it quickly as the aroma will dissipate quickly.
Limit as much as possible the contact with O2.
Carbonate and drink within month for best aroma.

The beer was great but next time I will replace some of the hops. Amarillo and nelson with Chinook and Galaxy. (chinook only 50% of the quantity)

Let me know if you need more details.
:beer:
Cristian

Unread postby brugen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Cristian wrote:
brugen wrote:

Thanks

3 kg pilsner
1 kg pale ale
600g wheat malt
500 flaked oats
500 flaked wheat
150g carapils

Hryhop1 (after 2 days of active fermentation)= 25g each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson 3 days
Hryhop2 (end of fermentation)= 25g each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson 3 days (and remove dryhop1)
Hryhop3 (3 days fermentation ends)= 25g each Citra, Amarilo, Nelson 3 days (and remove dryhop2)

26L for Mash + 4L sparge
2.5g Yeast nutrient

Lower the temp for coldcrash under CO2. If you don’t have this option better don’t coldcrash but close transfer to keg. if you bottle drink it quickly as the aroma will dissipate quickly.

The beer was great but next time I will replace some of the hops. Amarillo and nelson with Chinook and Galaxy. (chinook only 50% of the quantity)

Thanks, Cristian. That looks great.

A couple of details would be useful
Did you mash at 66C?
What were your Starting Gravity and Final Gravity?
brugen

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Cristian wrote:
brugen wrote:

Thanks

3 kg pilsner
1 kg pale ale
600g wheat malt
500 flaked oats
500 flaked wheat
150g carapils

26L for Mash + 4L sparge
2.5g Yeast nutrient

Looks good.

Very careful with oxygen though. Is that just for neipa or is that your method all the time?
Onthebrew

Unread postby Cristian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks, Cristian. That looks great.

A couple of details would be useful
Did you mash at 66C?
What were your Starting Gravity and Final Gravity?

My numbers:
mash: 67C/75min
boil: 60min
mash water:26L
sparge: 4L
preboil vol 26L
Brewhouse eff: 71%
Mash Eff: 74.4 %
OG: 15P (1.061)
Color: 8.3EBC
Aparent attenuation: 72.8% => 4.1P (1.016)
ABV 5.9
IBU: 94 ?!?! (litlle crazy I know, out of "style" but I prefer the punch of bitterness in any beer. anyway next time I will lower to about 75 ibu)
According to you water profile (if you care), add some acidulated malt to loweer the mash PH.

this was my second NEIPA attempt, both very good. 3rd one will take in considerence the hops change, lower IBU and water adjustments as I recently started to do it.

Last edited by Cristian on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cristian

Unread postby Cristian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Very careful with oxygen though. Is that just for neipa or is that your method all the time?

This particular NEIPA recipe is quite expensive so I take care to avoid oxygen contact with beer as much as possible. In general NEIPA is very expensive due to high level of hops used.
I’ve noticed that even so, in about 2 weeks you will notice reduced aroma. In the industrial setup, they probably use some aroma stabilizer or I don’t know.
With my setup is not that difficult as I am using the pressure transfer kit from GF. I connect the CO2 bottle to the conical and I start lowering the temp. The liquid will absorb oxygen while chilling only. After achieving the coldcrash temperature I disconnect the CO2 and put back the bubbler. Same for transfer to keg. Picture of the setup viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2967
Maybe not that important with Pale ale, dark beers where floral/exotic hop aroma is not needed.
It’s just a meter of keeping the hop oils in the beer as much as possible
Cristian

Unread postby brugen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Cristian,
Thanks for sharing your recipe and numbers so fully as well as the O2 advice.
I'll give it a go in January :beer:
brugen

Return to General / Tips and Tricks