How do you get your BM to look new again?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: How do you get your BM to look new again?

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:38 pm

HbgBill wrote:StarSan.. Definitely not. Can't speak for the others.. but, I seriously doubt they would either.. especially with the dilution factor in the tank. PBW is the essentially the same as Oxyclean for laundry enhancing.. SP is also similar IIRC. I believe PBW and Oxy are SP based. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Apparently this is the make up of PBW

2 parts sodium percarbonate (2Na2CO3.3H2O2)
1 part Sodium Metasilicate, Pentahydrate (Na2SiO3.5H2O)

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm not sure what everyone has against starsan. All I have ever had in response is either "don't use it" or "doesn't work". No reasoning at all.
I have used it for three years with no problem and it cleans way faster and easier than PBW. I just dampen a soft rag in it and the stone film peels off.
I am not soaking the SS in it or leaving it on for extended periods.
It seems like everyone puts the idea down or maybe hasn't tried it?
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Strong acid makes an excellent cleaner.
I used to use almost neat Phosphoric acid to clean my 3v brewery but only used it on the stainless steel.
I changed to PBW, one, because it became available to me and two, because the PB W was easier and safer to use than the acid.
Acid is not good if you get it on your skin or in your eyes... :?

I have found one of THESE great for cleaning my BM.
cotton_mop.jpg

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby pmac » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:03 am

Dicko wrote:
Batz wrote:
dinnerstick wrote:PBW, set to ~80 with the pump on, give it half hour at temp, shut off the BM and leave it a few hours.

Yes PBW, I use it every 6-8 brews, and the BM is looking a bit off by then. I put it in and heat up to around 65C, turn it off and let it sit overnight. In the morning I drain and still need to wipe it over, the film comes off very easy. Spray with the garden hose and it's truly like new again.
I think pure Sodium Percarbonate would work just as well, that's what I'll buy next, much cheaper.

Batz

I was using PBW but I have found that Sodium Percarbonate does truly work as well if left to soak hot overnite.
I tend to fill my BM up past the scum line from the hot break and add two tablespoons of SP and leave it soak. A hose off and a wipe over the element with a soft non scratch scrubby brings it up like new.
To remove all traces of the alkaline in the SP I spray with my Starsan from a "squirty" bottle and then give it another quick rinse with the hose.

:cheers: :beer:

Cheers I have Sod Perc on hand and will try this again. Last time I don't think I used enough in the soak.

I also have PBW but is very expensive in comparison.
pmac

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:01 pm

I did some research. Both Starsan and Sodium Perc are fine for septic. One article said that SP was beneficial to a septic tank due to the oxygen promotion.
Andy_Chil

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Lylo wrote:I'm not sure what everyone has against starsan. All I have ever had in response is either "don't use it" or "doesn't work". No reasoning at all.
I have used it for three years with no problem and it cleans way faster and easier than PBW. I just dampen a soft rag in it and the stone film peels off.
I am not soaking the SS in it or leaving it on for extended periods.
It seems like everyone puts the idea down or maybe hasn't tried it?

If you are referring to my comment.. I am saying that StarSan will def not hurt the septic system. It's a great sanitizer.. but I would have doubts as a cleaner.. not made for that. That same company makes other cleaning agents for breweries.

I love StarSan for it's purpose.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Lylo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 pm

HbgBill,
pmac asked what we use to keep our BM shiny and new.
I replied.
Homebrewers are coming up with new unadvertised uses for things all the time right?
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby coalminer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Andy_Chil wrote:Where are you lads sourcing bulk Sodium Percarbonate from in Aus? Keg King in Vic has it in 1kg bags, but something larger would be great.
Does anybody know if PBW, StarSan or SP cause any problems for septic tanks? I'm not on town water or sewer.

Andy
I get my Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Metasilicate from

AllPro Chemical & Hospitality Supplies

They are in Sandgate NSW so not much help to you but check similar local cleaning suppliers in your area

http://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.au/c ... ocation=SA

From memory I paid $41.25 for a 25kg bag for SP (ie $1.65 / kg)
and $1.32 / kg for Sodium metasilicate

Cheers
coalminer

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:36 am

If you're in Western Australia Connor Breware sell 22 kilo sacks for $100.

That's about $4.50 a kilo.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks all. I did some more research on septic systems. The general view is that neither SS or SP have any a bad effect on septic systems. One article I read even suggested that SP could be beneficial due to the oxygen created as it breaks down.
Andy_Chil

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:49 am

Andy_Chil wrote:Thanks all. I did some more research on septic systems. The general view is that neither SS or SP have any a bad effect on septic systems. One article I read even suggested that SP could be beneficial due to the oxygen created as it breaks down.

That's worth knowing.

I've been dumping mine well away from the drains for fear of upsetting the sceptic tank, but now know that I don't have to worry.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Batz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:04 am

Andy_Chil wrote:Where are you lads sourcing bulk Sodium Percarbonate from in Aus? Keg King in Vic has it in 1kg bags, but something larger would be great.
Does anybody know if PBW, StarSan or SP cause any problems for septic tanks? I'm not on town water or sewer.

Any chemical supplier will have it, look for cleaning chemical suppliers.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks