First Braumeister Brew, Question About Mash Setup

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

First Braumeister Brew, Question About Mash Setup

Unread postby drgonzo2k2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:41 pm

Background is that I've been brewing for years with about 100 brews under my belt, but I'm currently preparing for my first brew on my new BM20. :beerbang:

I had a couple of questions about starting the mashing process. From reading I've learned that if you wait to put the grains in until your water hits 140F (sorry, I'm in the States) that it will make cleanup much easier as you won't get sugars stuck to your heating element. This leads me to two questions:

1) For the first recipe I want to brew the first step of the mash is 145F. Normally to hit that target temp on my 2 or 3 vessel setup I'd heat the water to about 151F to reach that target temp accounting for temp loss when I add the grain (following the calculations in my brewing software). Should I try to do the same thing on the BM programming a first step at 151, and then a second step at 145F, or should I just set the first step to 145F and then let it re-heat as necessary?

2) Either way I assume when the temp for the first step is hit that the mash timer will automatically start. Does that mean if I'm waiting until 145F to add my grain that I should program in a small "dough in" step like 2-3 mins to allow me to add my grain, stir, etc. before the actual mash timer starts?

Also if my research is complete garbage and there's no reason to wait before putting in your grains please speak up!

Thanks a bunch! :beer:
"Remember, no one is an Einstein after nine steins!"
drgonzo2k2

Re: First Braumeister Brew, Question About Mash Setup

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:53 pm

The BM uses a "mash in" step ( at what ever first temp you set) and holds it there until you enter the mash in button (that is on the older models). It then raises the temperature to the next steps as entered and holds the temperature for the duration of the time set.

Example: mash in set at say 40C; protein rest at 50C for 10 min, sach 1 at say 63C for 60 min and mash out at 77C for 10 min. Having filled the water and started the program, the BM will prompt to insert the mash pipe and grains when the mash in temperature is reached. Having put the grains in and locked down the pipe, enter the prompt to continue and the BM will then heat to the next entered temparature and hold it there for the entered duration. In the example 50C for 10m and then automatically to the next level until the last entered mash step. The BM will then prompt again to remove the malt pipe / grain before entering the prompt to start boiling.

Re your first question. No need to enter higher temperature. Enter the desired and the BM will heat to hold at that temperature.

Re question 2: per above no - need to prompt once the mash pipe is in, grain filled and pipe locked down. (At least on the older version).
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby drgonzo2k2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks a lot for your response! Just to make sure I've got it...

I set my mash temp for 145.
I program my first step for 145 for 70 mins (following the recipe).
The BM will prompt me when the water is ready, and I can insert my malt tube + malt.
It will then heat things up to 145 and start the timer.

Yeah?
drgonzo2k2

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:25 am

Yes, correct, noting that the first temperature you set in the program is your mash-in temperature and this has no set duration due to the prompt mechanism after having inserted malt pipe.
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 pm

The new and original manuals are one this site too, if you didn't get one with the unit.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby drgonzo2k2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks all! I did get the manual, I was just a little confused between it and some of the brewing videos I'd been watching. All set now, and I'm pretty sure everything should be clear after I do a "dry" run with just water this weekend.
drgonzo2k2

Unread postby Joe1002 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:30 am

drgonzo2k2 wrote:The BM will prompt me when the water is ready, and I can insert my malt tube + malt.

Just don't forget the bottom plates too, I'm sure everyone does it once but best not on your first BM brew. :lol: Also remember the red rubber seal on the malt tube.
Joe1002

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby chastuck » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Joe1002 wrote:
drgonzo2k2 wrote:The BM will prompt me when the water is ready, and I can insert my malt tube + malt.

Just don't forget the bottom plates too, I'm sure everyone does it once but best not on your first BM brew. :lol: Also remember the red rubber seal on the malt tube.

I hate to admit it, but even as an experienced BM user, I have forgotten to put the bottom plates in twice! Much bailing out and cursing before I could start again.
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby tsgreen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:50 pm

chastuck wrote:
Joe1002 wrote:

I hate to admit it, but even as an experienced BM user, I have forgotten to put the bottom plates in twice! Much bailing out and cursing before I could start again.

300+ gallons later, I just did that last weekend. :lol: Helps hearing I am not the only one! :beer: Good luck this weekend drgonzo2k2 and have fun!
tsgreen

Unread postby mashy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Yup. me too. :beer:
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks