Mashing Overnight Experience Tunnelling

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Mashing Overnight Experience Tunnelling

Unread postby Cathal Heavey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:06 am

Hello,
I have 20L Braumeister for about 5 years. After the first 2 years I started to brew overnight as you all know this reduces the amount of time to brew and the beer was as good as if I did it all in one go. When I did it in the first 2 years I had no issue, but recently I started to experience serious issues with what I call "tunnelling", so bad that in one case so much wort leaked out from the top (I had the lid on) that the element nearly got damaged, as it was just covered with enough wort in the Braumeister. The tunnelling can be very violent. I believe the tunnelling is a result of a change in how the grains are ground. Early on I purchased large bags of ground grain which I believe was ground for example by Muntons. The tunnelling started when I purchased ground grain that was ground, I believe by the company selling the grain, because at that stage I purchased smaller bags of ground grain.

Has anyone experienced this with their Braumeister? If so I would be interested to find out.

Thanks,
Cathal
Cathal Heavey

Model: 20 litres

Re: Mashing Overnight Experience Tunnelling

Unread postby IPA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:43 am

Not sure exactly what you mean by "tunneling" is the wort leaking out of the tap ?
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:56 am

Welcome aboard.

Search for "wort fountains " this is a much discussed subject. You should find plenty of bedtime reading.

IMO it is the combination of crush size, grain bill, mixing and seals.

As a safeguard you could use a lightly modified stainless steel tray as a catcher... Just to reduce the mess and protect the element.

All overnight mashing NEEDS A SMOKE ALARM. That could have easily got quite nasty.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:37 am

I got over the dreaded wort fountains with a shallow stainless steel bowl from the local pet shop. drilled a hole in the centre a place a small stainless steel baracross the top of the malt pipe then fixed the bowl in place with a spare wing nut. Any fountains the drop back in to the malt pipe or run down the side of the malt .
Bigstew

Unread postby Cathal Heavey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:03 pm

IPA what I meant by tunnelling is what Mashy said is "wort foundations". I will read up more on this. Bigstew I would like to see a picture of your "shallow stainless steel bowl"?
Cathal Heavey

Unread postby Bigstew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Will do my kids are over for lunch tomorrow so will get them to take a picture and teach me how to publish it. I am techically retarded.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:39 am

The bowl or tray fits upside down. In the BM. The wall of the bowl should slot into the space between the malt tube and the wall of the BM.

I fixed the problem, not just made a "catcher".

I added a silicone seal to the top disc (heavy one not the mesh) . This makes it a snug fit. So the grain is free to move. I don't over fill it. The grain is filled in slowly & well mixed. With no lumps.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2022&p=19183&hilit=Fountain+seal#p19201
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:36 am

Cathal Heavey wrote:IPA what I meant by tunnelling is what Mashy said is "wort foundations". I will read up more on this. Bigstew I would like to see a picture of your "shallow stainless steel bowl"?

This problem is almost certainly caused by not thoroughly mixing the grain and liquor. All of the grains must be wet and no dough balls in the mash. Correct mixing not only cures this problem but also significantly increases your brew efficiency. So add the grain to the liquor a bit at a time and really mix it before adding the next bit. DO NOT JUST DUMP ALL OF THE GRAINS IN THE MALT TUBE AT ONCE and fit the top filter and switch on.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Doingatun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:00 am

IPA wrote:This problem is almost certainly caused by not thoroughly mixing the grain and liquor. All of the grains must be wet and no dough balls in the mash. Correct mixing not only cures this problem but also significantly increases your brew efficiency. So add the grain to the liquor a bit at a time and really mix it before adding the next bit. DO NOT JUST DUMP ALL OF THE GRAINS IN THE MALT TUBE AT ONCE and fit the top filter and switch on.

Yep....Wort fountains used to rattle and lift the lid, generally my grain bill is light-ish, I started to dough in very slowly, stirring grain in thoroughly, also using low dough in temp 40°c for 10 minutes, plus a top filter plate diy seal (all suggested on here), significantly reduced fountains.
Doingatun

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:03 am

Got to agree with IPA. Prevention is far better than cure. Cheap mash paddle. End hacksawed off and rest stuck in drill. Good stir whilst mashing in. No wort fountains.

IMG_3064.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 369 times

MBC :)
MonsieurBadgerCheese

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:36 am

Wow, good idea, but does that scratch the tube MBC?

I like these... :D but I would :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2497&hilit=Mash+paddle
mashy

Unread postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:13 pm

It only scratches the sides if you let it. I know that sounds obvious, but it's that simple. Keep it away from the edges.

MBC :)
MonsieurBadgerCheese

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:12 am

I was thinking of a plastic one, but would it be to flexible.

On the same subject have you tried putting a balloon whisk on a drill to use as an aerator?
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 am

Cant synch together my phone(android) with laptop(ubuntu) the systems will not let me upload a picture so here is the thing i purchased

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genware-NEV-52 ... rving+tray

just drilled a hole in the centre, popped over and the malt pipe and put my spare wing nut over the top to secure, it measures just over 30cm so you have about 1/2cm either side. Any fountains should then be returned to the malt pipe or the gap at the side.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:05 am

Yup. Thats the kiddy. I don't suffer them, but if I am going overnight, might be worth getting one.
mashy

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks