Mashing Overnight Experience Tunnelling

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Mashing Overnight Experience Tunnelling

Unread postby Cathal Heavey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:05 am

Hello,
I have 20L Braumeister for about 5 years. After the first 2 years I started to brew overnight as you all know this reduces the amount of time to brew and the beer was as good as if I did it all in one go. When I did it in the first 2 years I had no issue, but recently I started to experience serious issues with what I call "tunnelling", so bad that in one case so much wort leaked out from the top (I had the lid on) that the element nearly got damaged, as it was just covered with enough wort in the Braumeister. The tunnelling can be very violent. I believe the tunnelling is a result of a change in how the grains are ground. Early on I purchased large bags of ground grain which I believe was ground for example by Muntons. The tunnelling started when I purchased ground grain that was ground, I believe by the company selling the grain, because at that stage I purchased smaller bags of ground grain.

Has anyone experienced this with their Braumeister? If so I would be interested to find out.

Thanks,
Cathal
Cathal Heavey

Model: 20 litres

Re: Mashing Overnight Experience Tunnelling

Unread postby mashy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:45 am

Welcome aboard.

Search for "wort fountains " this is a much discussed subject. You should find plenty of bedtime reading.

IMO it is the combination of crush size, grain bill, mixing and seals.

As a safeguard you could use a lightly modified stainless steel tray as a catcher... Just to reduce the mess and protect the element.

All overnight mashing NEEDS A SMOKE ALARM. That could have easily got quite nasty.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks