Overnight mash - Long fermentation

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Overnight mash - Long fermentation

Unread postby Bigstew » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 am

Nine days ago I did my first overnight mash. Amazed with the ease it brought to brew day and the efiiciency was 95%. But (there is always a but.) the krausen is still going mental after 9 days!! is this normal with an overnight mash please.
66 deg c mash temp
6 kg maris otter
1 litre Denny fave starter
in brew chamber at 19 deg C
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Overnight mash - Long fermentation

Unread postby mashy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:36 pm

I wouldn't expect an overnight mash to affect the fermentation time. That said 9 days is unusual.
How fast did it get started? first day ?
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 am

I finished brew cycle at about 12 noon popped it in to the fidge at set temps to 18 c, (heat mat and fridge on the inkbird,) whacked in the 1 litre Denny fave starter. Checked the following morning at 7 AM and it was going bananas, so straight away really, check it this morning and its still buubling away, just wished I had put it in the fermentasuarus rather that a standard fermenting bin. Starter had the usual 36 hours on the plate, drained off top part after cold crash then popped in 90% of it to the brew and grew the next starter from the residue for my next brew.
Bigstew

Unread postby Bigstew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Update for you Mashy still at 18 deg C popped a fridge probe in the chamber. Got the wine thief out and the OG was 1068 now at 1022. The forecast or target FG is 1014 so a little way to go, It smells fab with the first lot of dry hops in already. Will keep you posted.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 pm

I have to say this is a bit of a puzzle for me. My beers normally take 5-7 days max and then I leave them to settle out etc etc for another 7 days.

I can get 1095 through in less than 9days. Bizarre.

Thinking out loud. Has the overnight mash extracted something that is mildly inhibiting the yeast, so it is slowly slowly doing the biz. 95% efficiency?

That said I have had an apple wine take 18 months. Yeast does have a mind of its own..
mashy

Return to General / Tips and Tricks