Beer gun

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Beer gun

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:26 am

wally wrote:
Onthebrew wrote:
wally wrote:Mashy,

I make sure that my beer is really cold, i.e. 3C or less and that the bottles are at the same temperature.

It also works better on lower carbed beers and generally bigger bottles are easier to fill. The 750ml champagne bottles seem to work the best for me.

I keep the gun resting in a bucket of StarSan when it’s not in a bottle.

Hold the bottle on a 45 degree angle and make sure that the gun goes right in to the inside edge of the bottle and make sure you cap on foam.

so for well Carbed american style beers ( 2.5 ish?) can i expect problems do you think? everything( bottles, keg, tubing and beer gun) can be kept around 2c before hand.

I managed to bottle a hefeweizen once, but it lost a great deal of the carbonation in the process.

it lost all the "spritz" you would normally associate with the style. If I bother to bottle, the beergun is generally only used on stouts and porters.

I'd be concerned at how much carbonation you will lose. Give it a try with several bottles and see what you think.

The beauty of the beergun is that it allows you to rapidly bottle a few beers to take somehere with you. It's certainly not for long term storage as there is too great a chance of oxygenation in the process.

oh dear!not a fan of stouts and porters! does anyone want to but a beer Gun?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:34 pm

I used my gun a few times (not many). I dont have a failsafe process yet but here is my list....
* Cold beer
* Almost no pressure in keg, bleed off pressure and have gauge at minimum
* Add ice cubes to starsan solution in bottle washer. A few pumps and the bottle is sanitized and cold
* Flush bottle with 5s or less of CO2; isn't beer going to be pushing out the air?
* Tilt bottle
* Swift pulls and release of gun's trigger
* Shoot CO2 for a second on top; might be better not to do this if you have foam coming out (hopefully slowly)
* Cap on the foam
* Like someone said, have a sanitized place to set down the gun. I have a dish pan with little bit of starsan in it.

Take your time (required since the pressure/flow is so low).
mikeschmidt

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 pm

I do wonder if a running cork on it would help.
mashy

Unread postby KimboKosmos » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm

I have been using beer gun for quite a while now and feel a little confident in my process.

It works with beers with 2-3 volumes of pressure, hefes and such with 4 volumes or more is too much, those I bottle condition. Carbonate a little extra, need that extra for the losses at filling

Keep the keg in a freezer at -2C.

I have a 3-4 meter long small bore beer line between keg and gun.

0.8 bar serving pressure on the keg, co2-tank in the freezer with the keg.

I don’t bother chill the bottles, the cold beer is enough to keep the foam acceptable

I lose between 0.5-1 liter of beer to excess foam and from the last bottle when the keg kicks

Tilted bottles when filling as mentioned earlier

My wife standing by working at the capping station, so that every bottle goes directly from foam at the bottle top to capping

It takes some time, patience is needed.
KimboKosmos

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks guys. Does bright beer keep as well as bottle conditioned?
mashy

Unread postby grooves » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:29 am

It's still live beer, and if you keep the bottles for a while you'll still see small amount of sediment from as the yeast dies off. Mind you, if I fill bottles from a keg they're normally consumed fairly quickly afterwards...
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks