Beer gun

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Beer gun

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:54 am

I have just received my beer gun and looking forward to having a go.

So that it doesn't turn into a foam party, can anyone share any hints and tips as to how to best fly it :D
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Re: Beer gun

Unread postby nibber » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am

Funnily enough I used mine for the 1st time on Saturday !
I have a couple of beer guns.
What make is yours?
Mine is a V2.0 Blichmann and it pissed beer everywhere then I realised I had the beer and C02 lines round the wrong way! (lots of people have done this apparently) :beerbang:
I used a dual output C02 regulator to purge the bottles with C02 @ approx. 15-20 psi and the other output on the keg pressurised at about 6psi.
Thought the Blichmann gun was faulty as its brand new but out of warranty as i've had it for ages but not used it :evil: (so packed it back into the box in anger 'till I re-read the instructions properly grrr... :oops: )- tried my other one I bought recently as it was half price and brand new- this is a Last Straw one. They both worked fine cant say one was better than the other though both gave good results. :beer:
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 am

I’ve had the blichman for a couple of months but it’s still in the box. I was still having foaming issues with a party tap so put the beer gun on ice. Think I’ve sorted my party tap foaming by keeping it cold and realising after a pint of foam it starts working ok now.

Will have a go with the blichman later this week. After a carefull read on instructions :cheers:
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 am

I bottle live beer into primed bottles with a party tap (syphon - no pressue) and have not issues at all. 40 bottles in an hour.

Looking to get slicker and save 2 weeks with the Blichmann
Last edited by mashy on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby wally » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Mashy,

I make sure that my beer is really cold, i.e. 3C or less and that the bottles are at the same temperature.

It also works better on lower carbed beers and generally bigger bottles are easier to fill. The 750ml champagne bottles seem to work the best for me.

I keep the gun resting in a bucket of StarSan when it’s not in a bottle.

Hold the bottle on a 45 degree angle and make sure that the gun goes right in to the inside edge of the bottle and make sure you cap on foam.
wally

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 am

wally wrote:Mashy,

I make sure that my beer is really cold, i.e. 3C or less and that the bottles are at the same temperature.

It also works better on lower carbed beers and generally bigger bottles are easier to fill. The 750ml champagne bottles seem to work the best for me.

Hold the bottle on a 45 degree angle and make sure that the gun goes right in to the inside edge of the bottle and make sure you cap on foam.

so for well Carbed american style beers ( 2.5 ish?) can i expect problems do you think? everything( bottles, keg, tubing and beer gun) can be kept around 2c before hand.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Gloves sound like a good idea.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm

full body gear more like!
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Latex suit ...nope too far :D
mashy

Unread postby nibber » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Yup- very good point about the temperature i run my large glass door stainless steel fridge at +2 Deg C it is a commercial one with an internal fan and holds superb temperature.
Stainless.jpg
nibber

Unread postby nibber » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Gradually filling up all my (4) fridges up in the shed lol :drink: :beerbang:

Kegerator.jpg
nibber

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:14 pm

I know that feeling. I have a glass door fridge that looks remarkably over stuffed ..far too much stuff in the beer cave.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:54 am

nibber wrote:Gradually filling up all my (4) fridges up in the shed lol :drink: :beerbang:

Kegerator.jpg

Are you really fermenting in those swingtops ?
IPA

Unread postby nibber » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

IPA wrote:
nibber wrote:Gradually filling up all my (4) fridges up in the shed lol :drink: :beerbang:

Kegerator.jpg

Are you really fermenting in those swingtops ?

No they have beer in them! :mrgreen:
Why would I ferment in a swing top bottle?? :beerbang:
Last edited by nibber on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
nibber

Unread postby wally » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 am

Onthebrew wrote:

so for well Carbed american style beers ( 2.5 ish?) can i expect problems do you think? everything( bottles, keg, tubing and beer gun) can be kept around 2c before hand.

I managed to bottle a hefeweizen once, but it lost a great deal of the carbonation in the process.

it lost all the "spritz" you would normally associate with the style. If I bother to bottle, the beergun is generally only used on stouts and porters.

I'd be concerned at how much carbonation you will lose. Give it a try with several bottles and see what you think.

The beauty of the beergun is that it allows you to rapidly bottle a few beers to take somehere with you. It's certainly not for long term storage as there is too great a chance of oxygenation in the process.
wally

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks