Beersmith water volumes?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Beersmith water volumes?

Unread postby Talison » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Has anybody else noticed that Beersmith advises adding insufficient initial volumes of water? For example, in one recipe a brewer advised adding 14 litres of water to a grain bill of 6 kilos, but in this case stirring and soaking of grains is impossible. This recipe then advises sparging 20 liters before boil... I don't see how this makes sense in terms of reaching the correct OG. Any thoughts?

We are working with a 20 L malt pipe within a 50 L BM.

Any thoughts are greatly appreceiated

Cheers

Alison :cheers:
Talison

Model: 50 litres

Re: Beersmith water volumes?

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 am

Alison. Is this your first recipe with beersmith?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Talison » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi mashy,

Thanks for your reply, this is the third recipe I've used with Beersmith. Although my equipment profile seems correct, the initial water volume BS provides is always too low. We have been following Braumeister's suggested IPA water amounts, ex. 23 L of initial water + necessary sparging to get about 20 L post boil , so the BS amounts seem off.
Any thoughts?
Talison

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 am

Alison

A lot of people use software (beersmith et al) or worse are put off completely because the maths seems daunting for new brewers.

There is no need to sweat the math particularly with a BM. Read this similar post from a few days ago.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3000

For some more ideas about brewing with a BM search "Fast Beer " and download the PDF.

Brewing is about making beer and grinning not making headaches and sweating. :D
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:01 am

Don't Speidel give instructions anymore.? They used to give liquor volumes before Beersmith was invented !!!!
IPA

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:34 am

Good point that man!
mashy

Unread postby Talison » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Good evening Mashy and Ipa & thanks for both your replies.

I agree that mastering the maths is in no way the first priority. My husband and I have made many nice beers, always roughly following Spiedels' water volume suggestions.

Our question still is...... Why is BS giving such radically different volumes? Are these brewers using hugely different equipment or strategies? We don't understand how a mash can be completed with a 1:2 grain:water ratio.

Cheers
Alison
Talison

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 am

The short answer is I would think it is a software mis-calculation or a profile issue.

The rambling answer is that different beers have different water ratios which may/may not affect the final beer. These may be for historical reasons, style and geographical variations.

We are limited by the physical requirements of the BM and must achieve certain volumes.

There is not one way. TBH once you know your water volume, it is one of the calculations that doesn't change.

I honestly believe calculating fermenter volumes from input volumes, and boiling excessive amounts of water is wasteful. It is only relevant if a) you are not using drinking water or b) modifying your water for correction or the style of beer.

I have 2 water cooler bottles, I partially fill both, from the hot tap and then carry them out to the BM. I have done this soooo many times I could not tell you the precise volume. I put enough in to ensure enough room for the grain (probably 3 inches from the top of the malt pipe) and then top up with 'some' more. BUT...All my FV's have 23l mark on them.

Different folks different strokes.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm

I think you are being confused with recipes that are designed for a conventional mash tun and one that is designed for a Braumeister. 2.2 litres of liquor per kilo of grist is nomal for the former but will not work for a Braumeister. Just stick with the instructions given by Speidel.
IPA

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:33 pm

In the mash profile in BS, in the first mash step (I name mine mash-in) set the water volume in the "water to add" block. Note that sometimes, depending what mash profile you use if you have not set up your own with the correct water volumes, there may be water "added" in later steps. These should all be set to zero.
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby Talison » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks all for the replies. We're going to stick with our 23l water volume.

Our BM 20litre profile on BeerSmith 3 is exactly the same as the one that "Philthebrewer" from this forum recommends.

I think it's time to consider Beersmith3 for recipes only!

Cheers guys

Alison
Talison

Return to General / Tips and Tricks